Tunze Nano DOC Skimmer vs Remora

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hi everyone..i sold my tank a year ago, and i miss the hobby badly.
Every time i'm at the LFS there's a percula saying :"take me home"...unbearable ;). Anyways, i'm setting up a mini-reef with a 20g+2X5g+10G sump that i bought yesterday. So i need a skimmer. I'm not gonna get a Deltec or ATI one, i need something small and pretty quiet. I'm interested in the Tunze Nano DOC Skimmer, it's available but i can't see it in action "live". I don't want something that will "Seaclone" on me, so i was wondering if someone has tested it. The Remora Nano looks cool too. Both are +- 150$ with different technologies. Anyways, i need some feedback on those. Tnx guys

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
long time no see! i used to have a Tunze DOC 9010 and it was descent but i only used it for like 6 months before selling it to get the one i have now if that tells you anything lol :p

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
btw the only reason i got it in the first place was cause its so small and the only thing i could fit in my sump under the tank! i used my old 55g as the sump and theres only 6" or something of clearance from the top of the 55g to the bottom of my 125g so i cant fit anything in really and the tunze did so for that it was great, the skimate wasnt even comparable to what i get now.... the skimate my skimmer i have now produces as much skimate in a week than the tunze did in a month! ive never use a remora so i cant compare that

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey tnx guys :)
Yeah the ol' 80 is gone and i don't have 4000$ to get solid lighting and skimmer and rocks, so i'll go small with decent hardware this time.
BTW the lady who bought my tank killled everything in it, except the coral beauty..was so pissed..i tought that she had enough knowledge to keep this stuff alive. Learned that last week.
OH i just saw your MR-2 skimmer...now that looks like a beast!
Would be good on a 200g, maybe when i'll have a basement.
Also i was looking at this lighting for the main, 20" high display tank : ReefSolution Magasin En Ligne: Aqualight Retrofit Kit 18" 96 watt
96w, well split it in half 'cause it's 50% actinics. 2.4 w/g for the 10 000k.
Might work for some zoanthids and shrooms. If you guys know some retrofit kits worth the buck, let me know ( 18" large ). I don't have much space under the hood. Tnx :D

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Finally i can have a 9005 for the price of a 9002. Also i have a deal on Deltec mce-300 (80 USD! .. used ) but i dunno, it looks like appealing because of the mc-600 but the reviews aren't great. I ordered a 45mm diamond drill bit to get the holes done...15$ vs 45$ per hole if a LFS drills it. Still dunno about the lighting.