turboflotor 1000

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
by all acounts this is a good skimmer for the money...this will be going into the sump of the 55...i was mostly just curious if anyone had any experience with these and specifically negative experience

furthermore...how is the noise on one of these, if anyone knows from practical experience?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i suppose another option is the berlin trubo but i have heard only mixed reactions about these...

also open to other suggestions...looking to keep it around/under $200 before the purchase of pumps...though ive found a turboflotor 1000 with the pump to run the sucker for $185 which seems like a pretty good deal to me...

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well...for anyone following my other post, I was concerned about the depth of the TF1000. But...I have modified my stand (yes it is still structurally sound ;) ) to gain a clearance of roughly 25" so I am back to this skimmer...

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What else did you look at? I mean it's a nice enough skimmer, but not a great one.... now you're sumping how much would an aqua-C urchin hit you for?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a feeling they're both better bets. Are these internet buys or lfs? It's not that the aqua medic is bad, it's just that both these other two have such good reputations for ease of use (and a prizm user I applaud that!)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Ok wayne, thanks for the tip...I may go with the Urchin then...I like that is says "plug it in and let it go" and I also have heard outstanding things about the remora which should speak to the general quality of their products

these are internet buys, but since i will be getting my lights from wherever i get the skimmer (most likely) shipping is going to end up being free...ends up saving me a few hundred dollars between the two items

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Well, I went with the urchin...ended up being only 165, and, since i got my return pump (mag-drive 9.5 which put the bill at about 225) i got free shipping so that was a pretty darn good deal i think

my lighting will be a 48" coralife aqualight (4x65w) and i splurged and spent the $6 dollars on the legs too :)

total for lighting: about $205

so thats not too shabby either

When all my equipment gets here and i get it installed i will try to take some pictures for anyone with an interest...shouldnt be more than a couple days as it is all supposed to be in stock and is coming from california

Last edited:

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I apologize for bringin up such an old thread but I had to ask this. In the above conversations do you still have the same equipment on the tank (urchine skimmer, and the 4x65 watt light?) Im just curiouse because Im weighing money whoas between a 55 and a 75 and the 55 is looking alot better right now..

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
hey occfan, i do still have the same setup and i am fairly pleased with it...if i was doing it again i would get MH instead of the PC. i would, however, reccomend you go for the 75 (why not just get a 90?) if you can afford it. i am actually in the process of debating whether to bump up the tank size to a 90

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A 55 is not a great tank shape in all honesty, they're too narrow for good aquascaping. You can stick the same kit you have on a 55 straight on a 75 or 90 and get all the advantages of the extra water volume for no great financial loss. That's especially true of the lighting, and it might actually be easier to get good flow in a 90 than a 55 with the extra space to push water around in . The only thing you might need to alter is your skimmer choice.
One of the huge benefits of sump systems is the choice of good skimmers open to you is so much wider than relying on a comparatively small number of decent HOB's. The price for these is often pretty competitive too, especially second hand. I got a second hand schuran for very little - it's ugly, very traditional, and will outskim any HOB to oblivion - the fact it's totally ugly, nonHOB, purely functional makes it total bang for the buck

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
this is very interesting thoughts and is really making me lean towards the 75 now (90 would be an option but the added cost for the stand and tank itself would make me go with a 75 instead, but I wont rule a 90 out yet!)

It seems as if the equipment that has been described would work either on a 75 (or 90) and even the 55 so that is an added plus to get the extra water volume.

I started another thread (as I think some of you have seen already and will post more in depth in there) but I am already getting excited about this upgrade and equipment options (I think I over estimated alot on equipment needs)