Turn filter on or off?

lilcam

Large Fish
Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
I have friends who keept their bettas in bowls and some in vases. I have a 2.5 mini bowl that came with a filter. Should I leave it on?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
k, bettas in small tanks are really unaffected by tank cycles, trust me, I have a LOT of betta tanks (over 60 jars)

Bettas do, however need good water quality, and thats were a filter can help. Biological filtration will not hurt either, but your regular weekly water changes will manage a bettas bio load just fine even if you sanitize the tank every time you clean it.

So, what a filters primary goal in a betta tank is to provide some mechanical filtration - basic removal of floating waste. You don't need a lot of current for that, and bettas don't like heavy current either.

Set the filter on its lowest speed if possible. Most bettas will learn where the current is strong and where it is weaker and will swim and sleep accordingly.

If your betta is not acting stressed out (hiding, getting caught in the intake) then leave the filter running. The water will smell better and you will likely have less algea to deal with.

Enjoy!

lilcam

Large Fish
Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
My betta seems to like the far right corner of the tank. There's an artificial plant there and he likes to lay ontop of the leaf. I assume he's fine, but he doesnt seem to want to eat. Also, the filter I have (came with my 2.5 mini-bowl), pushes the food towards the bottom of the tank.

Besides, I think I bought the wrong food. I purchased some tetramin that are geared towards bettas, but i meant to get pellets and not flakes. Let's see what he does for the next few days.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Bettas usually eat from the surface of the tank.

Pellets are usually what bettas like. Try only one flake or one pellet at a time at first to see if he eats them, otherwise the uneaten food will just rot in the tank. Be careful not to overfeed a betta, their stomachs are only about the size of their eye, and overfeeding can kill them.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Turn off the filter during feeding... Mr. Betta will learn quickly what this means and will rush up to the top of the tank with a look like 'Gimmie gimmie gimmie'

You can turn the filter back on next time you walk by.

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
Hi i am some what new to this betta thing, well atleast being into this seriously. I jus bought a 2.5 gal. fish tank and i have the following for it:
Filter for 3 gal tank.

wat other equipment do i need for my betta? plz help

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You should also have a thermometer for it. Bettas like to be at around 78F, so you will need to find out if the lighting/room temperature will keep him warm enough. If not, you will have to think about a heater.

Other things... bettas like a little shade from plants, but make sure they are soft as it's easy for them to rip their fins otherwise.

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
Back to that thing he said, about the fish hiding the plants. My guy does that too. He seems happy and it's pretty energetic. But sometimes it will jus like rest on a leaf or somethin. Is that ok?
Oh and he eats normaly