turtle tank...what to do?

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
i just got a 80 gallon tall tank, not sure of the dementions off the top... i would really like to put a turtle in it... i am planning on getting a turtle ramp and other stuff for it this weekend, hopefully including fish. i have read a lot about the downfalls of having turtles like they eat the fish and that they have lots of waste... i think that i may have a few options here...

1. get a bunch of bottom feeders to "clean up" after the turtle and only have a few fish in the tank. i have a source to get me some florida gar to put in there. or maby a silver arrawana or 2.

2. just get fish and be happy, maby a frog?

what kind of fish could i mix with the turtle(s) to keep my tank clean and what kind of fish could i have swimming around with the turtles? i have sources to get pretty much any fish or crab or snail or w/e for the tank. would a crawfish help? please help me

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
well a arrowana or a gar will get way to big for the 80 especially if its only filled up like 3/4 with the turtle.

Id say get some fish and make sure theres enough hiding spots for them to hide incase the turtle gets hungry.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
well my turtles are in a 20 long and I have a spong filter.

On your 80 though hmmm, id suggest maybe 2 internal filters or one big one, or maybe even a canister filter since its such a big tank and it would be big enough to keep the bar under water. Youll need a heat lamp and if your keeping fish a heater.

as for fish Im not quite sure, maybe some tiger barbs or something along those lines, there hardy and wont take guff from the turtle (guff being a simpsons quote ;) )

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Waht type you have in mind? The turtles will eat any fish it can, if you get fish a bit bigger it should be ok if you feed the turtle like every other day. I have 5 turtles, each a different species.

Agree with OCC, Id get a canister filter, like an eheim. I know someone with a turtle tank that has native fish in it and he runs an eheim, it works great.

Maybe you could go for natives?

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
well... if i cancle out the idea of a turtle... would 80 gallons be big enough for a gar or arrowana? there is a canal benind my parents house that i would let a gar go into. there are many of them in ther but no way could i catch one small enough for my tank. how long would it take for a gar or arrowana to get to big for my tank? if i did somthing like that, i wouldnt want the gar to eat all of the other fish in my tank including the cleaner fish and stuff... i also have a 10 gallon tank that i could raise my own guppies and food for them... i would not like for my tank to only have one fish but i would like to have an agressive fish and some other fish that it could live with and not become food.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Well, I dont know if this will help, but in my hometown LFS (I dont live there now) they have a huge turtle pond/interier display that has gouramies in the pond part.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Well for me the initial costs of my saltwater tank were a killer more than anything. After that its easy to maintain.

It would either be the turtle or the fish, I dont think its wise to mix them unless the fish are large

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
Had a turtle tank myself. He ate everything he could, including the head of a 3" pleco. Cory cats and similar scavenger fish will not clean up after the turtle, they clean up extra food only and a turtle produces a TON of waste. I finally gave him to a LFS. He did not eat a pike cichlid or other large cichlids. Everything else though, forget about it. Plan on cleaning frequently with good vacuuming. If you still want to go ahead, I have a turtle ramp and maybe some other stuff that I am not using and could sell to u for little money. Let me know. They do need very good filtration so two filters would be ideal. They are fun to have so as long as you know what u are getting into, go for it. Although a non tall tank would be better. I had him in a 50 gal low. Let me know any othe questions - send a private message if you'd like.