Two Part Vs Kalkwasser

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
To my understanding:

The advantage of two part over kalkwasser:
1. It (or they rather) can be added relatively faster (assuming not using the slurry method)
2. Can add more of them compared to kalkwasser without driving the pH too high
3. Can alter calcium and carbonate independently

The disadvantage of two part over kalkwasser:
1. More expensive
2. Less pH rise (depending on situation)
3. Drives up the concentration of sodium and chloride ions
4. Possibility to skew the calcium and carbonate proporion

Is there anything else that I missed out? Or anything wrong above?

Thanks.

:)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn't necessarily say the ability to alter calcium independantly of CO3- was a bonus. But that's about it. I think the big advantage of 2 part is for small tanks. Making kalk is a p.i.t.a., especially as the stuff is so unstable. But 2 part is pretty impractical for big tanks, especially big tanks with high Ca demands, and there a drip of kalk to replace evaporation topup demonstrably works well.
I have seen articles by the redoubtable Fossa and Nilsson where they calculate the upper limit of Ca addition that can be done with kalk. If you have a big tank with a very Ca usage you may well be forced to a calcium reactor.

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Yea making kalk is really a p.i.t.a., and when leaving it to drip you don't know how much is really left in the solution.

I am keeping a 40G nett volume system. Inverts consuming calcium are 2 skunk shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 2 trochus snails, 2 unknown snails, 1 nerite, a couple of little hitchhiker snails. And only soft corals.

I was thinking of forgoing kalk altogether. With this sort of consumption, solely depending on 2 parts, do you foresee the long term effect on sodium and chloride will be a problem? And I do little water change, about 10% a month.

Thanks.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
As long as you do normal water changes calcium levels should remain level. If you have a few soft corals they do not require the amount of calcium stonys do. I use kalkwasser at night to keep the Ph up and to precipitate calcium.

Sam Reef