Type of canister

schwartzy

Small Fish
Jan 23, 2005
Visit site
What do you masters on these forums know about the Jebo/odyssea line of canisters. Im looking at going with the canisters for my 180 gallon and am thinking of 2 jebo 828 canisters. The new ones with a gph of around 300 each. Or is eheim the way to go for sure? Also what ya think of the fluval line. I am thinking im gonna need 2 of the canisters for sure? A sump is not an option because of the drilling issue I dont want to deal with. I am a rookie bigtime to canisters as I just have a 45 gallon freshwater with a topfin 60 on it. Thank you.

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
I think you are going to need more than that. I think you should be shooting for a full tank cycle around 8-10 times an hour, ecspecially in a tank that large. Right now you are just barely over 3 times an hour. I think this is why so mnay people use sumps in large tanks.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
canisters are not the best way to go, they just cause problems and they also are expensive. if you dont want to fill your tank up with powerheads (understandable) you could consider a closed loop system with a big old pump

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Rio makes a Seio pump which goes up to 1700gph and a couple which are in the 600-800 range. A better pump (but of course a bit more spendy) is the Tunze Turbelle Stream pump. this is probably considered to be the premiere pump on the market right now. a nice feature is that the flow can be electronically controlled and they come in a range from somewhere like 600gph to 3000gph. if it was me and money was not an issue (and drilling was not an option) i would go either for the closed loop or the Tunzes

schwartzy

Small Fish
Jan 23, 2005
Visit site
I am not at all familiar with anything else besides the canisters or the hob filters. What else can I use besides these 2 without drilling any holes in my tank? I would like to go with that one thing you were talking about 1700 gph. what is that called again and the brand and about how much is it ?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you don't need a filter for SW, just live rock and water flow. conceptually the biological process is similar to FW but practically speaking the best ways to ensure that process is taking place are quite different. there is a nice sticky about protein skimmers at the top of the SW topic which I think you should read (there are HOB models). Tunze Turbelle Stream Pump is the best powerhead on the market right now imo...depending on the size and such the price will vary. do a google search and you should hit some dealers. a couple strating points: www.marinedepot.com sells them and i believe www.marineandreef.com does as well

while you are reading stickies you should read phantomfe3s "things you will need when starting a SW aquarium"

schwartzy

Small Fish
Jan 23, 2005
Visit site
Where do the powerheads suck the water from? Like I said im new to this type of equipment. So a powehead sits in the tank? and sucks out 1300 gallons per hour and gets filtered through what? Also I have no idea what a protien skimmer is either. If I get a power head that sucks around 1300-2000 gallons per hour and a protein skimmer , i'm good to go? Please help me figure out this filteration system.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can really tell you're coming from freshwater. Have you read any of the stickied threads at the top, or researched Live Rock. I also strongly recommend reading the New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta or John Tulloch's Natural Reef Aquaria.
Basically your filtration will be a protein skimmer and a whole pile of live rock. For a skimmer, you do the normal research, though AquaC seem to be recommended. 2 Remoras will hit you 500 dollars? Then for the rest you might well rely on a lot of water flow round your live rock. For this task you have some good and bad options. By the way you should look for a lot of water flow, at least 1800 GPH, or 10x water volume.
Powerheads - for this size forget little pumps, go Tunze or Rio Seio. Check out pricing .
Or get a big sump pump, and do some work with piping , and basically do a 'closed loop'. Water comes out of tank , to pump, and back in through glorified oversized spraybar.

Are you going to do a sump.

Beware, for this size tank, the tank is a very minor cost.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Realistically 2 * 1000 or greater. It's tough to have too much. Two is better than one as you can point them at each other and hopefully slight fluctuations in the flow rates will cause continued turbulence. Plus failure of water movement is very bad for marine tanks, so 2 means you can have one break and get away with it.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
a powerhead is basically a pump which sits in the tank and moves water and you should definitely get at least two if you go that route. If it was my tank I would do the closed loop but that is considerably more involved from a plumbing standpoint...

as far as the AquaC Remoras you can order them online for about $175 each I think but there are many other options so you should check out some online places and see what is best for you (but read the sticky before you do)