UFT=Unidentified Fishy Thing Please HELP!!

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
I was catching a few(14 found) of my fry today, after my swordtail gave birth while i was out. Anyway I noticed this clear object with legs, on a closer look it has eyes, n lots of legs about 6 i think.
It was swimming around freely in my tank. Please help me find out what it is. I have attached photos for you to see it.

Any ideas would help me.
oh one more thing, I have black hair growing on my gravel and my only fake plant in the tank, I have called it hair cuz I dont know what it is. and thats what it looks like, its very fine.

Attachments

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
The hairy thing is algae. I think you can easily pull those things. check your parameters you may be high on something.

As for that weird looking thing... I'm stumped... some sort of amphibian? **researching**

Sharkee

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2010
I think you have a tadpole. I know wrong shape, but this guy looks like he's in his early stages of metamorphosis. I could be wrong. let's see if anyone comes up with something.*twirlysmi

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
I bought plants from pet store before xmas, and havent noticed them before.
the hairy stuff I can pull off the plant and stones, so will carry on doing this.

What is a draygonfly larvae?? I will look on google for that cheers.
Its very strange looking, there were two of them, i have one still in a pot, but proberly dead by now. But would like to know what it is.

any more ideas would be great!!

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
just googled that dragonfly larvae, and the pictures look the same as the one i caught.
I didnt think they would live in tanks?!!?
I have killed it now I think.

Thank you for you help. But I will keep my eye out for anymore as they will eat small fish, and I have small swordtail fry born today.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol thats sucker looks sorta like my mystery larvae from my 40 gallon:

W/e mine are they are definitely insect larvae and they only eat live plants from which they also make their home. they don't eat fish, but I removed the two buggers that I found in my 40 gal anyway to be safe ;)

However yours is 100% a dragon fly larvae, so its a good thing you removed it :)

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
I keep looking for more, I found two of them, and got rid of them. Will there be anymore?? If so where will they hide??

Thank you again for letting me know what it is.