UGF and HOB?

Oct 14, 2006
New Hampshire
Well, the tank I just received(20G hex) it came with an UGF and I'll be buying a HOB too. Do you think it'll make any difference if I have BOTH running? Should I now even use the UGF at all? Do UGF work?

All help/answers/advice is great!

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I agree. I've never had one, but I have only evevr heard that UGFs are a total pain. To clean them, you have to tear everything apart. You can't really have plants ... really no benefits to them.

A sponge filter in a corner would probably be more useful than a UGF. At least sponge filters can be sorta cleaned out once in a while.

Although with a hex, there really isn't much room for dead-water corners anyway. So I think the HOB would handle the job

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2006
A power filter will do MUCH better than an undergravel filter. An undergravel filter sucks dirt and water through the gravel bed, resulting in a bunch of stuff stuck in the gravel. When you gravel vacuum, stuff will be vacuumed out, but the smaller particles are under the gravel filter plate. This will quickly build up and become a MESS. A power filter hangs on the back of the tank and will filter water with foam or floss media. The water is moved with an impeller inside a motor. Cleaning is relatively easy, take out the floss cartridge or the media basket (depending on design, most use floss cartridge, Hagen AquaClear uses a media basket) and clean it. The entire filter system can be taken off and cleaned as well.