UGF in saltwater tank

I'm starting a nano-reef, and I was wondering if it would be usefull to have a UGF system in my tank. I know I can't use live sand, and Ive heard bad things about crushed coral substrate. I have a ton of powerheads and UGF plates and tubes, so thought maube It'd help on the filtration. The tank is a 20 Gallon, with a Penguin 170 powerfilter, I'll be using a Prizm Skimmer once cycling is near completion. Thanks for any help

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
UGF not used in Saltwater, with the exception for using it as a plenum in a deep live sand setup for dentrification. You can use live sand and it would be preferred also with live rock for best results with water quality. Use skimmer to help cycle tank and use only power heads for circulation as needed. More equipment will just dump more heat into tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Technically you can use a UGF but in practice it's a nightmare. Lots, lots of problems unless you're really on the ball with gravel vaccing. Even at it's best it's not that good - no digging fish, you need to keep shifting stuff round, likely nitrate problems...