UGF with sand, and filter qus

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
I know this question has probably been asked loads of times but i wanted to ask it again but making it specific to my tank ideas.

I'm planning on setting up a 29 gal tanganyikan tank with shellies (or something like neolamprologus tetracephalus) in and was wondering what the best filtration would be if i have a sand substrate. I know that UGF arent great with sand but am worried about using an internal power filter if they spawn and i have fry swimming about to get minced by it. We dont have HOB filters her in the UK and can't really afford to splash out on an external filter, so i thought maybe a ugf with powerhead. Any ideas?!

Also, my 60 gallon tank will have an extrenal filter on it (was free!) and i wondered whether that would benefit from a UGF with power head, or just an internal filter?

Thanks, Karma x

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
you could go with a HOB filter, and if the fish spawn your could put a like floss or something aolong the lines of that to prevent them from being sucked in, I would really try to avoid sand with a UGF

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
i dont know why HOBs arent available, but i've never seen any for sale anywhere, no tell a lie i saw one once that was about £300. Maybe they're just not in demand in the UK, but i want one!

I might put an internal filter in through the cycle and until they spawn they swap it for a large sponger filter or similar. I'll definately not use a UGF, thanks every one :)

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
sand will clog a ugf. What you can do is put a layer of small gravel over the ufg, then cover that with whats called a gravel tidey. It looks like that stuff people do cross stitching on then add a layer of sand so that it doesn't seep down.

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
thanks for the good idea discus4, but i've been out this morning and bought an internal filter, and already had a new foam filter sotred away, so thats what i'm going to use.

I also decided just to use the external filter in my 60 gallon with maybe a small pump in the corner to give some extra flow, but this depends on how well the spray bar performs!