Ugh! Sick fish..

Fancypants

Medium Fish
Jan 27, 2005
Vancouver area -Whiterock
Visit site
I'm sure all of you knowledgable people out there have answered this type of question many times before, but I haven't the time to sift through threads for the info I need. I've got a couple of green tiger barbs with a rather large "white-ish" looking patch on one side just behind their fins (white-ish where there used to be colour). One in particular occasionally swims awkwardly upside down for a moment or two. What's up?? I am supposed to go away for the weekend!!

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
If you could get a photo it would be helpful.If it just looks as if the pigment has disappeared it could be Neon Tetra Disease(Plistaphora).If it's tufty it's fungus and if it's sort of grey it could be a slime fungus.It could also be Costia or Trichodina which are parasitic infestations.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Fancypants said:
I do not add the LFS water into my tank, but I do not go so far as to quarantine them.
If you're adding the fish straight off you may aswell add the water aswell.
Ideally you will hang the bag in the tank to equalise the temperature and then slowly mix the tank water with the bag water so as to equalise PH levels slowly.
Chasing them about and stuff so as you avoid adding the water will just cause unnecessary stress.