uh help please

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
My dad wants a Bala shark or a red tail shark x.X

I'd like to know which is smaller and how many gallons of water do they need?
He's willing to buy a 55 gallon tank for me as long as he can have one of these little guys,any ideas?

Also he said he would settle for something big so he can see it,and something interesting ,i just want him to choose something that will stay a normal size and that won't eat my fish i have in my 30 gal *which would move to the 55 gal if bought*.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
ohhhh, well they are cool lil fish but can get agressive as they grow older, i would say a tank of 30 gallons is fine for one of those guys.
Bala sharks get HUGE and need to be in groups, they need big tanks i would say a 75g min so tell your dad the balas would get huge and the red tailed sharks are the best fish to get out of the two :)

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i will,Do you guys have any advice on other fish that he would enjoy?
*also he loves gouramis*

Also if he can get what he wants he's willing to buy me a 55 gal tank w/ stand would a red tail shark be ok in with guppies? O-o

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i don't mind as long as they all get along,i'm just trying to help my family have a tank that everyone can enjoy.

Also clown loaches would they be compatible w/ a redtail,everyone in my 30 gal and a gourami?
*my mom peeped over my shoulder and asked me to ask if it would be ok x/x she seen a clown loach at wal-mart and we had to drag her away from it's tank*

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
heh,it's a killer deal if my dad goes through with it.But i have to make sure to tell him we'll need a new filter,new heater,gravel and all that uhg.Also it's gonna be hard to make sure he does'nt go like :O big fishy must buy.

and any ideas on a fish my mom would like?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I have a red tailed shark in my 29 gallon. I really like him. Sometimes it takes awhile for their tails to get really red, but feed them well and they will get there. Mostly they hang out near the bottom, but my guy will swim up and down every once in awhile. He will chase away the other fish occasionally, but he's only maybe 3.5 inches, so I'm expecting that to get worse. "Rainbow Sharks" get larger, and I've heard they are more aggressive. I don't think their coloring gets quite as deep and intense. I would go with the red tailed shark, they're cool.

Phinx

Small Fish
Jan 17, 2007
new Mexico
Depends on your mom really. If she is anything like mine. Your tank would be in trouble.
But if she likes pretty fish that have a bit of personality. Aim for dwarf gouramis or an Colisa fasciata (giant dwarf gourami).

I am sure you could just drag her to a fish store and ask her, for a top 5. Then come home and get some info. Just an idea.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
well i know she likes Adfs *can't find any in the stores* clown loaches ,Green tiger barbs,German blue rams,glolight danios,female bettas * can't find in the stores*Otos and tetras.

Oh and the red tail sharks i seen seem like they are still babies.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I have two "GloFish" (genetically altered danios). They are pretty neat, but I have to say they do ruin the whole look of the tank since they are so bright. They look un natural, which I guess is the point. Just consider that before you buy them.