uh oh

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
is it possible for a fish to just dissappear? i cant find my yoyo loach to save my life. after not seeing him all day i decided to go in, pick up the rocks and driftwood, and even sift around in the sand. i couldnt find him any where! any ideas?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
What's your substrate? Yoyos love to bury themselves.

A buddy of mine had a yoyo in a tank that he hadn't seen for weeks. He assumed it was gone and completely broke the tank down and set it back up for a different set of occupants. As in... completely drained, nothing but gravel left in the tank. Sure enough, a week later the loach pops up and is swimming around, merrily as can be.

~JW

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Sorry to go off-topic here for a second..

Hey big54bob, if you look at the top of the page near the right side, you'll see the status of you private messages. I notice you have your PM alert pop-up turned off, so you may not have seen that I sent you a PM. If you could, click on the words "Private Messages" to go to your inbox.

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
good news! i came back from a party tonight and TADA!! there he was! i have no idea where the little bugger was hiding, but hes back now and schooling with my other loaches like nothing happened. im so glad... i dont have any goldfish in the tank but i was startin to wonder if my guppies were eeeevil! hehe

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
apparently he liked hiding so much that he keeps doing it, im not so worried now because he knows when dinner is so hes usually out by then. and to answer a question that i failed to answer before... the substrate is sand, so its very likely that im practically inviting him to bury.

Breeze7050

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
Glad you found him! Not sure of the size/shape of your driftwood but all 4 of my yoyos can swim completely through the driftwood - thus be totally hidden from sight. I used to flip out and think they were stuck or gone and then one by one they'd come flying out. Although I have to admit Im getting a little worried as they are quite a lot bigger now then when I first got them!

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
yeah duncan is the same way (get it? duncan... yoyo hehe) hes kind of a fatty. i thought he was a gravid she for a while, but as it turns out, hes just a hog at meal time and eats everything he can get his greedy little barbs on!