Ultra Polyps?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Just bought what was called "ultra polyps" from the lfs i usually buy from, i hadn't heard of "ultra polyps" before but they look just like typical zoanthids so i wasn't too worried...but it seems that i cant find them anywhere on the internet, is there such thing as "ultra polyps"?

(i cant post a pic right now, but i will tommorow when the lights are on)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
"ultra polyps" is a marketing gimmick online retailers (and apparently LFSs) use to make normal zoanthids seem more desirable and then jack up the prices. they do this with other things too...you will notices that at some places almost everything is "rare" or "one of a kind" when in reality it isn't

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
that's ULTRA COOL...and ULTRA ANNOYING....and....ULTRA a lot of other things. thanks for the heads up, i'm not really disappointed it's still a wicked deal for 30 dollars. I haven't taken the pic yet, but it's about .5 pound of pourus (sp?) rock with 40+ polyps, cool orange color.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That sounds alright.

There is a lot of e-trade 'monkey business' in corals at the moment with relatively common corals being sold as rare when that's just not true. Acanthastrea are a good example of this.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
yeah i know what you mean, i really like acanthastrea even though i cant have it. sooo expensive, but you see it being sold for a lot of crazy names that are rare.

kind of off topic, i've found 3 dead brittle stars this morning when i was looking at the coral...think i should be worried? i think they must have come off the coral.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
oh and actually, another question (i wont bother opening up a bunch of new threads). The green star polyps i was asking about earlier (overtaken by sponge) still haven't opened after i removed the sponge, someone suggested they might take 2 weeks and it's been around that and no sign of life from the polyps. However the purple base is still growing, really quickly too (imo) but from the new part still no polyps....should i consider fragging it?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you think that will help, but it's not a magic bullet. You might well be better leaving it be unless you can see active signs of death, decay, necrosis

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Now my polyps wont open anymore, some of the green colored ones will but the orange ones wont. at first i thought it was because the hermits kept crawling all over them but now they dont seem to open in the morning. They're under an overdriven 60+w but only one actinic bulb. when i bought them they were under more light at the store, but at the low middle section of the tank. I've got them in the middle middle, a small amount of flow and only some polyps (the orange ones) wont open...any ideas?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That's not very much light - actinics alone are not an adequate light source.. I have mine under lots light, quite a lot of flow.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's certainly a possibility. They rely also on solid food items, but if they're in low flow they won't be getting much of that either.