Under gravel filters!!!

aceracer

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2005
Ok im getting a 55 gallon tank with clown loaches, tiger barbs, and a angel fish, so i want some plants not alot but some for looks and some shelter for the fish .. my question is it needed to have a ugf? and if would i benificial to use a powerhead to help suck everything fron underneath the gravel.. and with only say 5 to 6o plants do you need co2 machines?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
UGFs are bad for live plants as they do not allow the roots to behave normally. ALso, UGFs tend to collect a lot of crud below them that is hard to get out. WIth live plants, throw the UGF int he trash. I would run a powerhead hooked directly to a filter if you already have one. Powerheads do a great job of keeping water moving so that debris can get filtered out by your other mechanical filter

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
My Dad has used an UGF in his 45 gal tank for years and it served him well. Now that he has gotten a new Fluval filter (which are supposed to be the best), he is considering taking out the UGF because it might be interferring with the filter so that the tank can stay well maintained.

I have had my tank for nearly a year now and had an UGF for the first bit. Now it is out for basicly the same reason my Dad is thinking of taking his out. I have a Fluval filter. We are trying to see if my tank will do better without the UGF and see if it'll help my tank get established.

P.S. if anyone has had experience with fluvals filters and nows if tanks do better with just the fluval and not both the filter and the UGF please let me now. It'll help. I have a Fluval 404. *SUNSMILE*

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Nobody:
I would reccomend that you take the UGF out if you have a fluval filtering. I have had an internal Fluval and a UGF running at the same time in one of my tanks, and saw no difference when I stopped using the UGF. Just be sure that the fluval has been running long enough that it has the biological stuff it needs to maintain a healthy tank (you'd hate for it to go into a mini-cycle). Bottom line: the UGF is no longer needed in your tank. :)
Hope this is of some use!