Under gravel filtration

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
I have always thought there was really only like two kinds of filters for fish tanks. hang on the back or canister like the Fluval. But what is an under gravel filter? Are they good or better than a Fluval and can you use them with sand and or with a Fluval??
thanx..

Dec 25, 2004
Visit site
Some people love em some people hate em. As far as salt water tanks go I think your better off with out one. although I have heard of them being used.

Oh I use them In all my tanks but I have fresh water ;)

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
Under gravel filters are a simple graded piece of plastic that lies underneath the substrate. Powerheads attach to the filter via tubes and suck water through gravel and create massive amounts of beneifical bacteria in the bed.

They don't work well with sand but are really proficient at biological filtration when used with a gravel bed. Many people don't use them now because other forms of filtrations also have great biological benefits. They can also be a pain to service. You can use them with any other type of filtrations but I would advise against using them with sand. Also with a marine tank I think you would be better off getting some extra filtration that will provide extra water circulation. Maybe try a HOB (hang of back filter) or another cannister type, H.O.T. or the magnum.

No they are not better than a fluval they just go about filtration another way.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
undergravel filters suck for SW tanks...like your canister filter they are nitrate factories...you have plenty of filtration with your live rock...spend your money on a skimmer or some powerheads...probably powerheads are your best buy right now because you only have one or two small fish in that 60g if i recall...such a small bioload does not need a skimmer yet

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You can use it in conjunction with a Fluval, but I wouldnt use it with sand. Also they arent the best filter out there, requiring too much maintance plus they are messy. My advice, stay away from them.