Undergravel filter....

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I am debating.....should I put the undergravel filter in that was given to me? Or should I just by a bio wheel filter? Any suggestions? This is for my 75 gallon tank for freshwater fish. I want the simplest but most effective....don't we all? I'm debating on whether to use the UGF because i have read so much about cleaing and maintaining. What would y'all do???? I already have an aqua tech filter but it is really only for a 60 gallon....can I run that until I get the new filter, if I decide not to use the UGF? There will be no fish in here for some time yet.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I would either run two HOB (hang on back) filters or get a canister. I would recommend against an UGF. For HOBs, you might want to look into an Aquaclear 110. Also, if your shopping somewhere like PetSmart, the filters online are considerably cheaper than in the store -- print out the online prices and they will pricematch at the store. I would also run two filters on a tank that size, unless you're keeping fish that can't handle the current.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I agree with Seleya......UGF's are more trouble then they are worth. Fish waste and debris get sucked down through the gravel and then just sit on the bottom of the tank polluting the water.
Also, this past weekend I went to PetSmart to get some new items for one of my tanks (filter, heater, etc.) and printed out a sheet of the on-line prices and they matched with no questions asked. I saved around $40! The heater in the store was $10 more then the one on-line!
I personally like the Whisper filters (they are quiet)....I've never used an Aquaclear, but I've heard they are good too. Although now that I think about it.......I don't think Whisper makes a filter big enough for your tank. I've never seen anything larger then the Whisper 60.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Raindropsinla I'm glad you asked that question because I'm looking into a bigger tank and was wondering the same thing. The tank I have now came with one but I didn't use it I got a HOB filter and it works great.

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I agree with both of you. I had a UGF on my 55 and cleaning it was horrific when it came down to "really really" cleaning it. I called my brotherinlaw and told him to keep the UGF. I'll run my 60 till I get the one I need. I have a 10 gallon filter on the tank my beta is in. Do I need to keep that on there for him or can I take it off and run it on my 75 along with the other one? Suggestions welcome! I am looking at prices for the filter.. I KNOW they are cheaper online. About a 15 to 20 dollar difference than PetSmart.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Betta's can live without filters....is it good for them, no. If you don't have fish in your 75 yet (source of ammonia) then I think it would be pointless to move your 10gal filter over because the beneficial bacteria would be killed off.
If you go buy a new filter make sure you keep the 60gal one on there too until the new filter builds up bacteria. You can also keep them both running because OVERFILTRATION is good.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Leave the filter on the 10, it's probably cycling itself so it wouldn't help the 75 and would hurt the 10.

If there's a PetSmart near you, check their online prices -- I got a filter for $40 less than the instore price and even considerably less than any other store around. I'm all about getting something in hand :) -- I hate waiting for an online order. If you order online, That Fish Place, Big Al's and Foster's & Smith all are pretty good. I think Limi's right, Whispers come as large as a Whisper 60 -- they're very nice filters too, imo and very quiet.

Also, instead of one large heater, you'll want two smaller heaters in a tank that size -- one for each side so it is heated more evenly.