underground filters

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
I'm curious about underground filters.... how do they relate to other filters? Do you want to vacuum gravel less to not remove bacteria once it's in there? would adding gravel from another established, fully-cycled tank speed up the cycling process? Just looking for some general info on ug filters.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Most of us do not prefer ugf's, considering them less efficient and more trouble, and also if you grow plants they aren't the best choice.

You want to vacuum more thoroughly once the bacteria are established; at that time no amount of vacuuming should disrupt the cycle. While they are gaining a foothold is when you are not to disturb the gravel much.

Yes, bacteria from another tank helps immensely.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
UGF's ran by airstones are a poor choice. Even powerheads can become an issue if you do not have the right thickness of gravel or do not vaccuum thourough.

UGF's work by have your bacteria in the gravel and the water current flowing down and under for a traditional one or up up through the bottom on a reverse. The problem is if you ahve fish that move gravel around, gravel with blockage or decorations...you lose flow through these areas. Air stones make the flow minimal.

Then you have the issue of all the dirt and junk getting under the UGF plate. Eventually..your going to have to tear the tank apart to clean under there.

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
Then you have the issue of all the dirt and junk getting under the UGF plate. Eventually..your going to have to tear the tank apart to clean under there.
Thank you, Matt. That was my next question. I assumed that all the physical waste would have to be eliminated at some point. I am trying to help a friend advance to the next step in getting a proper setup. Their 5yo daughter has a "carnival goldfish" (common or comet) that is living in a bowl which neither mom or dad is interested in cleaning. I am giving them my 1.5-2gallon tank and hoping that eventually the ammonia will drop and nitrates will take over. I will use gravel from one of my established tanks to help this along. And I will try to do water changes for them until they get comfortable with it themselves. I know it is still a long way from the ideal situation but maybe they will slowly see how much easier it is with a bigger (and hopefully much bigger!) tank.

**I fully understand that the minimum tank size for this poor little fish is 10-15gallons. Some even say 20 :)**

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
**I fully understand that the minimum tank size for this poor little fish is 10-15gallons. Some even say 20 :)**
Hehe, i was about to say...that a 2 gallon tank isnt going to help a goldfish at all. they do produce mad waste, and that means high ammonia.

I'd say take that 2gallon back, and try to scourage up, (or even fundraise lol)
about $8 for a ten gallon bare tank. Its up to you tho, and what you can afford. the 2 gallon is going to be way better, but the GF might still die in that.
Best of luck through this :)

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
I hadn't thought about a bare tank. I may even know where to get my hands on one ..... I think I'm liking the challenge of seeing if I can save this little fish :) I hate to see anything suffer. My next question about the UGF is about substrate. It does operate with an airstone so after Matt's comment about poor airflow, would it be better to go with a thin layer of gravel or something bigger like glass marbles?
I know this is all a long shot, but I appreciate your understanding and help with this. I figure at least I'm learning things along the way ....

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
My old friend from school had to deal with this, and he was not happy.
and dont make the mistake of putting toooo much gravel in, its much easier to vacuum with less gravel. if your going planted i would post in the planted section, youll get good advice.