Unidetified Plant/Animal

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
My mother in law purchase some hermits, snails, and some sort of plant that doesn't have any roots, and feels like a wad of fishing line, plus it's green. A while after we put it in the tank we saw some little things with antanae moving all around it, there were a whole bunch of them. The next day something with a bunch of legs submerged from the plant to eat a chunk of plankton that was the size of him. He ate it and you could see it inside of him, and a few hours later it appeared to be broken down. This little thing has over ten little tenecle things and that are attached to the base of the body that is about half an inch long. And the body part is semi transparent. Does anyone know what the little things are, or the thing with tenacles, or what type of plant it is?

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
sounds to me like an aiptasia anenome formaly known as the pest anenome, they multiply rapidly, and are known to attack small fish and corals.. True peppermint shrimp are the only things that eat them...

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
The green plant is a macro algae, I don't know the name offhand but I will look around for it. You will want to keep that. The little bugs crawling around are either amphipods, copepods, or isopods...all of them good too.
The "thing" that ate one of the pods does sound like aiptasia and should be removed.