Unknown growth on rocks

Feb 25, 2006
Texas
Hello,

It has been a long time since I have visted the group however I now have a question about a growth of something on my live rock that I would like to see if someone can help me determine what it is. I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank with about 150 lbs of live rock, skimmer, four 295 per hour power heads, a canister filter and two coralife aqua lights. I add coral growth inhansers and additives and etc. to the water on a scheduled basis. I have noticed a clear soft growth covering some of my live rock mainly in shaddy areas. The consistancy of the material is pliable and soft like rubber. I am thinking it could be new coral growth but I am not sure. Has anyone seen or heard of this before.

Roger

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Sounds like sponge, I have some growing on my LR that sounds liek what you have described. It only grows on the underside of the LR where it is very low lighting. Look for a tubular opening in the formation if you see this it is most likely sponge.

Feb 25, 2006
Texas
Possible sponge attack?

SALTY WATERS said:
Sounds like sponge, I have some growing on my LR that sounds liek what you have described. It only grows on the underside of the LR where it is very low lighting. Look for a tubular opening in the formation if you see this it is most likely sponge.
Hello Salty waters,

Now that I thnik about what you have said it might be sponge. I will try to post a picture of it. Meanwhile is this good or bad for my tank?

Roger