Unknown on Live Rock

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
The attached picture shows a hard slow growing branching growth that came with my live rock. Can Anyone identify it?

Attachments

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Definently some type of macro algae, can't give you the specific name because i don't know. Thats cool it came on LR though....LR must be good stuff, very alive.

Is that a Zoa/Pally polyp or a small anemone in the top right. Just above the macro algae? Or a mushroom perhaps!?!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i dont see any ricordea lol maybe majano ;) but defintly some type of macro algae....most tangs will eat that stuff (not saying to run out and put a tang in your 20g)

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks for all your responses. Based on evaluation of further web references and pictures for the species names provided, the green mass is Codium and the item on the above right (which also came in on live rock) is Ricordia. I've actually had both for about five years, but recently upgraded from a 38 gallon tank to a 75 gallon with better lighting. Things are taking off now. New live rock added to the tank came with a 3 inch Sea Hare and a 3/4 inch Sea Hare, and a whole host of small feather dusters.