Unseen Excavators

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Lately I have been noticing large sand movement. I'm sure it's not my powerheads. I only have 2 firefish, a lawnmower blenny, some hermits and snails, and a cleaner shrimp. Any one have any input on what this could be? I try to go in late at night and turn the lights on with a dimmer switch. I can't see anything. My firefish don't come out at night and my blenny goes into his cave and sleeps.

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
Most likely some type of worm from the lr. If you have a flashlight with a red filter (like on the boyscout lights) you will be able to see any night creatures without scaring them. I found a big worm the other night, not sure what species yet but it was crazy.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
When is the best time to observe them? Or where should I look for them??? In the rock or the sand? I heard they aren't a threat, but more of a help to the tank.

It's been a while since I was last in the scouts, but what coud I use for the red tint? Just to put over a flashlight?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
yeah I only mentioned the boyscout light cause it comes with the little color discs. I use my buddy's red lens for his camera. It works perfectly. I actually found two tiny brittle stars that way poking from a piece of LR a few nights ago.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Thanks for the tips. I hope it's something cool that is doing it. I just can't believe I haven't seen what has been doing this. I only have 5 rocks. If it is a bristle worm I hope it dont' appear like that monster someone posted a little while ago. Bristle stars would be cool if that's what was causing it. Are bristle worms nocturnal?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It is probably just your powerheads depends how much sand is moved.....if it hits the glass just right it will make drifts of sand in odd places..I have a pistol shrimp that could go head to head with my sandsifting goby......for the amount he moves in a day......

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well if you saw him digging a hole my money is on the blenny. Mine has a couple of holes in my live rock staked out that are his.....funny to watch him back into these holes......one day there may just be something in that hole to give him a start.....