unsure

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
depends on how comforatable you are with your knowledge. There is no designated time you should wait before you can start bredding fish just depend sif you know what your doing and how to care for not only the pregnant fish but the fry.

What type of fish (and how many/gender) are you planning on breeding and what setupds do you have?

well im unsure of what i want to breed i want to use my 250g for maybe breeding plecs or something along the lines of that.and the problem is i dont know how much i know.is there like a quiz someone can give me or something,just kidding but if you can that would be great.is there anyone who tracks my posts or noticed any improvements in my knowledge(excuding spelling)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Most fish need a tank of their own to breed in. Livebearers will give birth anywhere, but with egglaying fish, it's less stressful if you have them on their own in a tank. A good way to find out about breeding is to do some research on Google for the fish you're interested in breeding. If you're interested in breeding plecos, www.planetcatfish.com is a good place to start, look at "Shane's World" for articles on various species.

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
ya your posts are so confusing i think you have yourself caught up in about 6 different lies. As for you knowledge i can not say. Maybe you should do a little more reading on here and actually let some of it sink in and just chill out. I know you are supposdily new but you have 2 tanks apparantely running so you should have some knowledge of this hobby. Reading on here and just seeing what other people have in their tanks will really really help. As for as the breeding, just let nature take its course thats my approach unless you are wanting to try and make money, then i would go to the bookstore and buy a book on breeding. As for a quiz i am pretty sure you dont need a quiz.

jefftaylor said:
ya your posts are so confusing i think you have yourself caught up in about 6 different lies. As for you knowledge i can not say. Maybe you should do a little more reading on here and actually let some of it sink in and just chill out. I know you are supposdily new but you have 2 tanks apparantely running so you should have some knowledge of this hobby. Reading on here and just seeing what other people have in their tanks will really really help. As for as the breeding, just let nature take its course thats my approach unless you are wanting to try and make money, then i would go to the bookstore and buy a book on breeding. As for a quiz i am pretty sure you dont need a quiz.
when i was "supposdily" new i already had like 3 tanks running, and one was accidentally already cycled... i learned just about everything about general fish keeping in the first 2 days. it just depends on how comfortable you are and how much you trust yourself. lies...? what lies? also good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edit: how are his posts confusing?

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
bala:

One of my first fish in my first 10 gallon were swordtails. I had my tank running for maybe a week. They gave birth that night, and now I am hooked on breeding livebearers. I think its never too early to start learning how to breed fish, but for starters, i would go with livebearers, just because they are pretty easy along the lines of breeding and raising the fry. I'm right now on my 3rd batch of fry and am LOVING it :D I do plan on going on to more difficult species to breed, but that's all if I am comfortable, so like yahoofishkeeper said, it's all in how comfortable you are.

tubbs

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
know how the species breeds.
know how to replicate the conditions needed to breed.
That is basicly it. Actualy making it happen can be quite different. I can say that you'll only get out of breeding your fish as much as you put in. The more effort and time involved the better off your fish will be.

I'm not quite sure what there is to sleep on though. If you want to do it, do it. You can either prepare yourself with knowledge now, or wait till your waist deep in it and then start to figure it out.