Upcoming Vacation

Opesus

Medium Fish
Mar 9, 2005
I will be gone from Thursday morning until late Monday night this coming week.

What are my options for my fish? I have 4 danios, ADF, 3 shrimp, 2 algae eaters, and will probably have 2 corys then.

I'm planning on leaving my blinds open so that a little bit of light will come into the tank, so I have that base covered, but I'm nto sure what to do about food. There's nobody that I can have look after them.

Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
just feed them before you go. your fish should be fine without feeding for a few days. some people even suggest a few days of fasting here and there is good for em. as for the cory cats, you don't have them yet? why not wait till you get back before adding them? if they don't acclimate and die right away, 4 days of having a dead fish sitting around in what i assume is a small tank isn't good...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, they'll be fine without food for a few days. Be careful about leaving the blinds open if it's going to get hot where you are (check the weather before you go). As dethjam says, it would be better to wait on getting the cories until after you get back. If a fish dies while you're away, it could kill the rest from the ammonia/nitrite spikes.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
your fish can go for up to a week easy without food, some people say 2 weeks. light shouldnt be a huge issue unless you have live plants, and as lotus said the heat coming from the window could really screw with your tank. you could always buy a light timer if it is a big concern for you.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I agree, I would wait on getting new cories until you have time to monitor how they are doing. Also, light isn't too big of a deal. Fish don't really care about it, it's more for our viewing pleasure :)
So anyway, whats the vacation? Something fun or work related?

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
After caring for reptiles, who need timed heat and light and such, I found I absolutely love timers for all the time, esp. if you have plants. They even have ones that have night and day timers (like one section is for what you want on at night, one for what you want on at day, and one for all the time), which would be good if it is hot in the day, but not at night and you want your heater on at night, but lights on in the day.

Mine have survive for 1 1/2 weeks without food. Hold off on any new fish, for all the reasons above...and also you may want to not add them to your tank right away until you are sure they are healthy and won't contaminate other fish.

LALALisa