update on moving my tank

Sep 19, 2006
For those that remember.. I had to move 55gal tank to paint the wall behind (hillbilly hell)

Here's what I did...

I got a 35gal rubermaid tough tote, I put in fresh treated water about half way. I then put in about half the gravel. I stuck filter to the side (I chose the tote because I could hang the filter). I put in a few of the plants (the ones I didn't kill with medication for ich). I put some more water in, then the fish. Then I took the other big stuff out (rocks decorations etc) and just set them on the lid of the rubermaid tote (It was sitting on floor next to the tote with the fish). I then, removed all the water I could (still about half the gravel in there about 25 -30 lbs of gravel) The water came to just above the gravel. My husband and I each took an end, and lifted the tank straight down from the stand to just in front of where the stand was. I stuck the ornaments and rocks back in the tank (there wasn't enough water to cover them). We easily lifted the stand out. I covered the tank in plastic tarp, painted wall and trim (worked on this overnight). 24 hours later, we started putting everything back the way it was.

24 hours later after being re-set up, my water check came up Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ppm. All fish are accounted for and all moved plants are still alive, plus my neighbor's (not the hillbillies) tank bust a seam or something or another broke and I have 2 small bala sharks (my son is estatic, I'm not), and another fish (fire-mouth meeka?!? not sure on name) temporarily being housed in my tank (not pleased with this, but hey I like this neighbor).... so adding 3 fish and doing a complete change was successful......so far.

I just wanted to update those who helped me decide how to do this, that it went well. The hardest part was catching one of my lil yellow lab chichlids :)

thanks so much everyone!!