Update :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Not that anyone REALLY cares a whole lot, but I felt the need to show you some pics of my new critters and their new home. I moved the firefish, LR, Nassarius snail and hermit into a new 20G tank from the 15 Hex that they were in. I let everything settle for a few days and then a few days ago I picked up two pink skunk clownfish that are finally being active exploring the tank and the firefish seems to be getting along well with them. Its nice to see all the fish instead of just looking at the tank going "well thats nice rock" haha

I have some of that oolitic sand that wayne was talking about on its way, going to try it out. I left the old sand in the old tank and so far the nassarius are doing ok w/o it....but I'll get it in there next week when it gets here.

Oh and no crap about the light...lol I need to get a light strip for the tank and just haven't yet...its a pretty bright little light for what its worth though! Its like a 15watt compact fluroescent.

Anywho here are some pictures...

Attachments

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Looking good, I love that firefish, makes me want to go out and pick some up!

Let me know how that sand works out, I am currently in the process of going BB and may in the future try a small layer of sand and that stuff you mentioned sounds quality.

Glad to hear your new additions are being more adventerouse (sp?) and checking out there new surroundings, its always a great feeling when you see them becomming more open to you being around and dont dart into a cave as soon as you walk into a room.

Thanks for sharing pics! I love seeing other peoples tanks, keep em comming!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Ya can't wait to see more pics once you get it completed, it's looking good!

I wanted to get a FireFish but never did because of their JUMPING factor and I hate having a lid on my tank (just personal prefferance) but they are beautifull little guys.

Thanks for the pics!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Thanks guys :) Actually I had my first jumping experience with him when transferring him from tank to tank...I had him in a cup after catching him in the old tank and was holding it partially submerged in the new tank and BOOM he shot outta there like a canon and HIT ME and then fell on the floor. Poor guy. But I scooped him up and tossed him into the tank and he was fine after a day or so of being REALLY hidden lol

Edit: oh and I pretty much have to have lids on my tanks otherwise the evaporation rate in this dry climate is rediculously fast.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Thanks :) I think it already looks 100% better, even without sand/background etc (also getting a new heater and another powerhead shipment supposed to get here on monday...and I'll get a real light strip sooner or later). I hven't done a water change yet, but I know the maintenance is going to be SO much easier. My parents were just over and they loved finally seeing the fish instead of just taking my word for it that they're in there heh

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Looking good Froggy!

Is this 20 gallon the first in your future two side-by-side tanks plan?

Oh, and I think that light will serve you just fine. If you like it and the fish look good, you're set. But this is coming from someone who velcroes aluminum foil onto a bedside lamp for lighting, so... lol

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i realy like the clowns! ive never seen ones like them before, so to me they are alot better than the normal ones i always see! i realy like the tank!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
the two side by side tanks plan has been put on hold because of my current job situation so I'm going to have to settle with this one 20 for awhile... (long story PM me if ya feel like it lol)

I hadn't seen these type of clowns before either...I was talking with the guy who owns the store I was in. They actually have an orange type and a pink type of the skunk and apparantly the breeders (and I dont know if this is just the breeders he gets them from or the breeders in the US or what) had a really bad wipe out of all of their breeding stock, so they hadn't been around for a year or two (at least in Colorado) while the breeders wild caught new ones and tested them for genes etc to make sure they weren't inbreeding badly etc and now they're finally starting to sell some. I'm not sure if its true or not, but he said they get about the same size (maybe 3 inches) and are more docile in the scale of clown aggression. (if someone knows differently please feel free to pipe up, I haven't found anything that confirms or denys that lol just taking his word for it). Anyway I think they're pretty cute :) I'm calling them blonde because they kind of look blonde more than pink hehe

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
ohh and OCCfan I forgot to mention about the oolitic sand, I did some pricing locally and the CHEAPEST I found it for was like 40 bucks for a 30 lb bag...was rediculous thats like $1.33 a lb. I ended up ordering a 22 lb bag from drsfostersmith.com that was on sale for 14.99 and getting other stuff at the same time and the total for shipping was only like 9 dollars...so it comes out to something like .89 a lb...and I probably wont even end up using all of it...so getting a 30 lb bag would have probably been a waste.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Your tank looks good. Other fish seem to help to bring the firefish out... must make them feel safer. I guess the clowns are dither fish...

Just out of curiousity, how did you catch the firefish? I've never seen mine anywhere near enough to the top of the tank to make me think "gee, that looks like a jumper," even though I've heard lots of times that they are. Then again, my tank is tall and the rocks don't go nearly up to the top, so that might have something to do with it too.

Are your clowns friendly? I've only had mine (seems to be a percula) for a week, and s/he already eats frozen stuff right out of my hand. The benefits of tank raised fish...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
heh I knew he'd be impossible to catch so basically I took everything out of the tank, then half of the water...and cornered him with a cup. (Note: Cornering not so easy in a tank that doesn't have any real corners.)

Yeah they seem to be friendly...haven't had my hands in the tank much since I got them tho. They're still pretty timid but about 200% better than when I got them and they dont seem to be touching each other all the time anymore, they feel safe enough to explore the tank on their own...although they still all hang out together a lot. They are little pigs!