Updated Stocking Strategy

Roland6543

Small Fish
Jun 27, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
This is my plan for stocking my 75G tank.

Please, Please, Please let me know whats good, whats not and what changes I should consider.:confused:

Phase I) Easy and Cheap
10 Espei or Harlequin Rasbora (should I get more?)

Phase II) Easy and Reasonably Priced
2 Angelfish (better in singles or 2-3's?)
5 American Flag Killifish (Not sure about these. Should I rather get a few different Rainbows e.g. Dwarf Neon/Praecox/Celebes Rainbos - and add in Phase 3)

Phase III) Easy and Could Be Expensive (shop around)
6 Boesemani Rainbow Fish

Phase IVa) Moderately Challenging
5 Clown Loaches (I do have a tank size upgrade planned)
Phase IVb)
4 Keyhole Cichlid (are they better in singles?)
If I should keep Keyholes in singles, then:
- ADD 1 Dwarf Ram (Blue or Bolovian) (does the RAM like colder water???)
- OR 1 Cockatoo
- OR 1-2 Honey/Pearl/Blue Gourami (aqadvasor says they stress the Rasbosa?)

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have no personal experience with clown loaches, but we go to a restaurant with a 100 - 120g tank in the entry way which is fascinating. It has two clown loaches that look about 6 - 8 inches and they dominate the tank with their size. There are other fish in the tank but the clown's are the activity - I am not saying they are aggressive - I wouldn't know about that but to me it feels like five in that tank would be way too many. The cichlids in that tank weren't anywhere near as active.

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
german blues like temperatures in the low 80s, anything lower they become susceptible to infections. bolivians seem to be much hardier. if you can get a pair in there it would look really nice. the one problem you might run into with this set up is the rasboras are very small compared to everything else. other than that, well done.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Angels can be introduced in pairs or groups, but if a breeding pair forms you may have to rehome the others - the breeding angels will get very aggressive towards them, not to mention the rest of the tank! It's totally fine to have multiple angels - you could do more than two or three if you wanted! - but if you get parents, you need a strategy...

Roland6543

Small Fish
Jun 27, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Thanks guys. Here is my plan 3.0 Please keep the comments coming...

EACH PHASE ABOUT TWO WEEKS APART
Some phases below have a choice of a, b or c, in order of my preference but my final selection will depend on price/availability,
Phase I) Easy and Cheap
10 Espei (should I get more?)
OR 10 Harlequin Rasbora

6 Dwarf Neon Rainbows (4cm) (Melanotaenia Praecox Rainbows),
OR 6 Glossolepis Pseudoincisus (6cm) (Millenium Rainbow)

6 Boesemani Rainbow Fish (Melanotaenia boesemani) (7cm) (all males or 2 males and 4 females),
OR Melanotaenia trifasciata (8cm) (Goyder River) Banded Rainbow.

5 Clown Loaches (I know... I’ll have to get a bigger tank eventually),
OR 6 Yoyo loaches,
OR 10 Synodontis petricola catfish

Phase IVb) More aggressive fish last
3-4 Pearl Gouramis
OR, I’d love a Cichlid centerpiece but can’t seem to find one that’s colourful and large-ish yet peaceful enough to live with my other fish.

Roland6543

Small Fish
Jun 27, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Sorry. This was posted incorrectly. I had intended to remove the clown loaches. HERE is strategy 3.0....

Thanks guys. Here is my plan 3.0 Please keep the comments coming...

EACH PHASE ABOUT TWO WEEKS APART
Some phases below have a choice of a, b or c, in order of my preference but my final selection will depend on price/availability,
Phase I) Easy and Cheap
10 Espei (should I get more?)
OR 10 Harlequin Rasbora

6 Dwarf Neon Rainbows (4cm) (Melanotaenia Praecox Rainbows),
OR 6 Glossolepis Pseudoincisus (6cm) (Millenium Rainbow)

6 Boesemani Rainbow Fish (Melanotaenia boesemani) (7cm) (all males or 2 males and 4 females),
OR Melanotaenia trifasciata (8cm) (Goyder River) Banded Rainbow.

6 Yoyo loaches,
OR 10 Synodontis petricola or similar catfish

Question: In the absence of loaches, will shrimp be able to survive the mix described above, or will they rapidly become lunch?

Phase IVb) More aggressive fish last
3-4 Pearl Gouramis
OR, I’d love a Cichlid centerpiece but can’t seem to find one that’s colourful and large-ish yet peaceful enough to live with my other fish.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Have you thought about a large school of tetra's?? A large school of cardinal tetra's would look fantastic, plus they are community fish. I'm a huge fan of tetra's (I currently have 4 different types in my 36 gallon - I have a few of each type and they all school together). I like honey gouramis (love the punch of orange) more than pearl gouramis.

I don't personally know about all the fish you have selected, but I would suggest a trial period regarding the shrimp. I have had dwarf puffer's in the past who basically drove my shrimp to death, but the current dwarf puffers I have now live in peace with an unknown number of shrimp (approx 3 - there is only one I see on a regular bases). It all depends on the personalities of your fish!!