Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
UPDATE=
new test results this morning
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 2.0
nitrate 5.0

should i still change the water today? it came down from yesterday after the water change. does that mean that the tank is cycling correctly? i also cut back on how much i am feeding them. smaller amount of food twice a day.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
ok.. did a 75 % water change and here are the results
ammonia 0.25 still
nitrite 1.0
nitrate 10

and the black molly died after water change. water was treated with aquasafe and warmed up to tank temp before change. rip bmolly

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Ok well, it looks like your nitrites are eating up the ammonia (which is good) and the nitrates are eating up the nitrites (also good) Give it a day, test again...then another possible water change. You should be close to being in the clear.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't say you're near the end of the cycle. Nitrites are still rising, which means you're still fairly near the beginning.

Nitrites of 1.0 are still pretty dangerous, and can definitely kill fish. I'd suggest another water change tomorrow.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
And a little more info...

Nitrites destroy the hemoglobin in the fishes blood, basically suffocating your fish. The blood becomes much less efficient at carrying oxygen, and as a result, the tissues in the fish slowly die off.

A pinch of salt will help reduce the effects of nitrite poisoning, but water changes are what will really help. You could also add a little ammolock to help.

Dec 20, 2007
North Lousiana
I try to keep my A at 0-25 and the nitrites at .5 or under. While that is still more than you want, at this point is necessary for the cycling. Just keep up with the water changes to keep your levels as said above. Keep nitrates under 20.