Upgrading lighting in a Juwel tank

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
I have a juwel rekord 96 aquarium, iam not sure how many gallons it holds but the measurments are: 81L x 46H x 36W cm , I have the lighting that came with it which is 1 flouresent light tube which is 18 watts.

This site says that because the lighting has a built-in reflector it doubles its light output,which I doubt is true.
http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/juwel-rekord-o-25.html

I have plants in the tank and some of them are doing great but the others are just turning brown, that is the reason iam wanting to upgrade my lighting

Anyway im sure i have very low lighting and I was wondering if I put in a higher wattage light tube would it blow the fittings?

tank_angel

Small Fish
May 7, 2006
St.Thomas, Ont
you should only use the suggested wattage of the top or fixture .. im most cases.......... just buy a colored light, sometimes colors like amber and red can seem brighter than just normal white lights but i wouldnt suggest getting a larger wattage since if the light does explod or bust it way hard your fish and small light particals might imbue there selves into ur fish and harm them perminatly