upgrading to larger aquarium?

kinipela

Small Fish
Jul 5, 2006
Indiana
Right now, I have a 29 gallon tank. I need something larger. We are looking into getting a 40-55 gal and taking down the 29. I saw a 55 with stand, hood and light in the paper. I'm leery of buying something used though. We're going to Petsmart tonight to measure out the 55s and see if it would even fit where we want it to go.

I am using a H.O.T. Magnum, I'd have to get something larger, right? Like a canister? The 29 is the largest tank I've had, so I'm not sure. And I believe I'd need two heaters, one for each side, correct?

There are 2 main issues:

1. The new tank would have to go where the current one stands. Not quite sure how I could pull that off successfully.

2. We plan on moving sometime in the next year. How successful are moves like that with a large tank?

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
ok, lets see how good my advice is. first of all, if your not quite sure you want a larger one, and you intend to move next year, id hold off on buying it until you've moved and settled. nest, if you do still buy one now, id say there is goin to be a lot of shuffling if you want he new one in the old ones space. ask again about the shuffling when you get closer.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
"Hi. I'm Jennifer and live in IL. I've had tanks on and off for the last 15 years or so. Right now, I have a 29 gal with 2 bala sharks, 4 mollies, 6 baby mollies still in the fry net, 1 tiger barb, 2 albino cory cats, 1 upside-down cat, and a juli cory." <== from your other post.

okay heres my suggestions (anyone can correct me)

As far as i see if i were you i would get the bigger tank now, you have a yr before you move and you have fish in your current tank that need more of thier own company.

Bala sharks grow big. 8-12 inches reported on most sites
Cories prefer company of thier own kind, so your julli's and your albinos are lonely, a school of 6 for each is nice, though your gonna have to watch your stocking level.
Tiger barbs also like to have company as well, a school of 5 or 6 is good for them as well and helps to keep thire agression down when they get older.(and i can see the tigers eating your fry)

Mollies are livebearers and breed like rabbits from my experience with them. so your always gonna have some fry.

Upside down cats i've never had so don't know what they prefer.

Now for setting up the new tank.
As far as i can see you have two options...
Option A. (and this is assuming you want to use the same substrate ornaments etc from the 29 gallon) would be to drain half the water in the 29 gallon and then having someone help you move it in front of the space where you want the 55 gallon to go, then (again assuming your usuing the same substrate) net your fish in to a CLEAN chemical free bucket. and move over your existing substrate and ornament/plants etc, fill the tank let the filter run for a bit in the new tank to get rid of any dust/debris/cloudiness and move your fish into the new setup

Option B (assuming your buying new substrate) would be to drain half the tank move as i mentioned earlier, then move your oranaments/plants/etc into the new tank and then net your fish from the old tank to the new tank.

the first option is what i did when i got bored of my tank and decided to change out the substrate from sand to flourite. Be ready for wet rugs, and a aching back. and a lot of work in either case.

if you go with option a, assuming you have plants your gonna need more substrate, the amount of substrate you have in the 29 gallon will be spread more thin in the 55 gallon.

As far as a heater goes, you don't have to get 2 heaters, just get one rated for a 55 gallon (or whatever size tank you get) to evenly keep the water warm, make sure you get a heater that is submersable and then suction cup it to the back glass in a horizontal position.

back to moving, your gonna have a tank either way when you move, weather it be the 29 gal, or the 55 gal, so you might as well upgrade tanks now if you can. and make your fish happier.

Oh and your filter, if im not mistaken a hot magnum IS a canister filter, and is good for water poloshing, like a cheap diatom filter. I'm not sure what there rated at at so you may have to check the manufactures website for your model. for my 75 gallon i plan to go with an eheim filter if that helps you any. model 2026 i believe
Good luck,
sorry for mispellings and sentences that dont make snese im tired haha

Last edited:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
If your Balas are still small enough, you might want to think about finding a new home for them. They want to be kept in groups of 10 or 12, they grow to be a foot long, and they are _very_ active.

Personally, I don't think they are appropriate fish for home aquariums (unless you plan on setting up a 1000g tank ;) )

Oralacerta

Small Fish
Jul 5, 2006
Syracuse
The largest size of balas in aquaria is 14" to be exact, and they get not only longer but deeper bodied too.

Imagine the ridiculous size of tank you would need to house a proper school of 14", hi-speed, skittish fish...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
as far as buying tanks used...thats really the only way to go IMO. New tanks are rediculously priced, but you should definitely price them...know what you want and then keep your eye on the classifieds, garage sales, craigslist.com etc You need to know your prices...not just on tanks, but equipment. For example if you find this great ad that says "55G fishtank for sale with all equipment $100" thats great...but um, really not specific. Know what each piece is going to run you new, so you know whether what the person is selling is a good deal. If you're just getting the tank and an undergravel filter and a crusty air pump...then you better really like UGF's, or know what that filter is going to cost you.

You dont HAVE to have two heaters...but with a long tank like a 55 sometimes it is very helpful during the cold months. You can get two so that if one goes belly up your fish dont freeze, it helps heat the tank more evenly with two, doesn't put as much stress on one heater etc.

As for moving with tanks...no matter what size it is its a pain in the behind. We can't really help ya with that decision...if the only place to put a tank is where you have it now, then you're going to need to have all equipment ready to go and tested....take the fish out and break down the existing tank, put the new one up and add your fish :)

Assuming you dont add any fish to the mix then the filter you're using now should be fine until you get another one. Even if you already have another one, I'd run both filters on the tank for a few weeks and dont make any fish additions, to make sure you dont have to cycle the new tank.

kinipela

Small Fish
Jul 5, 2006
Indiana
Well we missed out on the one in the paper for a few hours. But, my birthday is coming up, so my husband has decided to buy me a 55 anyways. I'll be using the same ornaments and gravel, but adding more gravel.

Balas - I know (now) that getting the Balas was a mistake. I've had them before, and after reading some of the articles, it's a good thing they didn't make it. I had 4 of them in a 10 gallon before I got my 29. We ended up losing power during a blizzard and all the fish died. That was 9-10 years ago. They are beautiful, but I don't plan on getting any more. And do plan on seeing if I can get someone to take them.

Cories - I plan on getting some more and adding them in gradually.

Tigers - Originally there was a group of 6, but they've all died over the last year or so. S/he needs some buddies. He's driving us nuts chasing the sharks and mollies.

Thanks for the advice/help!

Jul 12, 2006
i recently bought a 180l tank second hand and personally i think you are better of getting one second hand because they usally look brand new and you will save alot of money and they cycle faster because the filter has been used*thumbsup2