"Urgent" Help needed!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Hey I need to know the safest way to remove a Sea Cucumber from the side of my aquarium glass without damaging its soft delicate suction tenticals?

You will find out later why I am doing this but for now I need to find this info out and can't seem to find on the Net.

I am planning on very slowly and gently pocking at its suction feet starting at the top and kind hoping on it peeling off slowly. I as well am thinking off lowering the water level so it is starting to become exposed to air in hopes this will entice it to come off the glass a little easier....HELP PLEASE!!!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
wayne said:
Do NOT expose to air.

What will this do if I did?

My cucumber has been totally exposed to air a few times during water changes because of the hight in the tank it is at. I haven't noticed any ill effects of this...not saying there isn't any; I just may not have noticed!

More info on this would be much appriciated. THANKS :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well the story is that if you pull them out of water there is a reasonable chance when you resubmerge them there will be a reasonable chance of getting an air bubble somewhere inside, = local cell death = slow spreading of problem = thing dying , falling to pieces over a few weeks.

This is reputedly true of sponges, and all sorts of other inverts as well. In practise I will pull these things out, but I do it pretty fast and not for the hell of it.

You'd never heard that?

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
wayne said:
Well the story is that if you pull them out of water there is a reasonable chance when you resubmerge them there will be a reasonable chance of getting an air bubble somewhere inside, = local cell death = slow spreading of problem = thing dying , falling to pieces over a few weeks.

This is reputedly true of sponges, and all sorts of other inverts as well. In practise I will pull these things out, but I do it pretty fast and not for the hell of it.

You'd never heard that?
Ya I have heard of this but never really thought about it with the cucumber because I've seen these things in shorlines totaly imerged from the low tide and they way I looked at it was if I slowly lowered the water level it gives the cucumber time to properly seal it self up from the air, which seems to have been fine in the past like I said with my water changes...or so I may think!

Thanks for the advice wayne and I will try to keep it submerged.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Lotus said:
I know I'm not a salty, but with fish that stick to the side of the tank, sometimes a credit card works to slide them off, and into a net or other container. It sure beats trying to yank off a delicate fish.
Ya a credit card or something of that sort is what I use to Thanks for the suggestion Lotus!

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Does the local sell death apply to all inverts like snails and such because I always do water changes and when there On the glass I just leave em out for a little bit then pull em off and put them under water?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
no most snails are fine outside of water, infact, many are tidal and prefer to be exposed at different intervals during the day. Anemones, sponges, cukes, things like that have the problem with being exposed to air. Sponges never should be, I have heard that anemones shouldnt because they get an air bubble trapped, but I have never seen it happen, and I have seen quite a few exposedto air