Urgent help required

Mar 15, 2010
I recently inherited a 200l tank and I am having serious problems with the water. Everytime I feed my fish the water turns cloudy and the fish start to die off. I have tried cleaning the gravel, I have checked the water conditions, I have checked that the pump and filter are functioning and have now for the 8th time this week swapped some of the manky water for clean water. What am I doing wrong???

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
I have tried cleaning the gravel, I have checked the water conditions, I have checked that the pump and filter are functioning and have now for the 8th time this week swapped some of the manky water for clean water. What am I doing wrong???
Are you dechlorinating the water you are adding to the tank? You don't say where you live so I'm uncertain of the water supply.

If you don't own a water test kit yet, see if a fish store close to you can test for: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Report back here the actual numbers for each (don't let them say its 'ok' or 'too high,' get actual numbers.)

Good luck!

aglowe00

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2010
how long has the tank been set up? how long after you set the tank up did you add fish? are you making sure to do 30% water changes weekly with de-chlorinated water? what kind of food are you feeding and what kind of fish are in there?