Urgent: Large ID shark and Angel threat to baby Neon Tetra?

VicVegas84

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2008
I have a ~6inch ID shark and an large angle, ~fist size. I had a problem with my 6 gallon so I added them into the mix with the larger fish. They are roughly pencil thick. There are 9 total, 1 died. Will they be safe? I over feed them so they shouldn't be hungry.

What do you think?

VicVegas84

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2008
Current inventory is 1 Angel, 1 molly, 3 small silver dollars and 1 4.5in pleco. The Tetra are the jumbo species and about 3/4 in long and about as wide as a pencil.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
The Iridescent shark will definitely eat the neons and Angels will eat anything that will fit in their mouth.

Just an fyi on Iridescent sharks:
Your shark will quickly out grow your 29 gallon tank. They can grow to be 3 and sometimes 4 feet long. This is not really a shark, even though it's name implies it. They are a subclassification of a Pangasius catfish. They require a very large tank and prefer to school with 4 or 5 other catfish. They frighten easily and when scared will run into the glass and hurt themselves. If you keep this fish you will have to keep buying a bigger and bigger tank or he will stunt (meaning his organs will keep growing but his body won't) and he will die. He will eventually need a 300+ gallon tank if he reaches 3 feet in length. They can live past 20 years old.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
You may want to get that 55g in your sig up and running for your Angels and SD's and take TMony's advice and look into a bigger tank (or a new home) for the cat.

Too many fish + not enough room = cranky fishes!

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
PS- You may want to not overfeed your fish- there's already an overload on the water and the extra food will only make it worse. Try and keep your water clean b/c if your fish want to eat eachother, flake food decomposing on the bottom wont really make a difference... Fish really only need to be fed 2-3 times a week anyway. Hope you get everything worked out and don't get any MIA fish!

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Errr, I hate to say it but I think you should have definitely done research on the ID shark before you bought it. I can't believe those things are still sold at LFSs, sick people! Housing that ID Shark is just going to be tough. I mean if you could keep up with moving it into larger homes as he grows I guess it's okay, it might hurt his health and growth rate though. All the tankmates you named with your ID shark will be feeder fish when he his mouth becomes big enough to stuff them. Pretty much all fish that don't grow to his size will be. =-\ don't really know what to tell ya, I would return or get rid of the ID shark in some safe, ethical manner though~