used reptile tank

ben401

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2009
looking for tanks on different online auction sites and was wondering if there were any dangers in buying a used reptile tank to be used for freshwater fish?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
no dangers as long as you use a bleach-water mixture to clean it off real good, and then use dechlorinator to wash it off good again to get rid of the harmful bleach. after its sanitized, go ahaed and cycle it and its ready fo fish :)

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
no dangers as long as you use a bleach-water mixture to clean it off real good, and then use dechlorinator to wash it off good again to get rid of the harmful bleach. after its sanitized, go ahaed and cycle it and its ready fo fish :)
Aswell as whats mentioned above,
Just be sure it is capable of holding water, ie no leaks and also whether it was MADE to hold water, some reptile tanks aren't sealed well enough to hold the pressure when its filled with water (rare but always check before paying)

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I was given a 29g tank several months ago. When I went to pick it up I was told that a turtle had recently been kept in the tank. All of the silicone from the middle down to the bottom had been shredded. So, be aware of that possibility.

ben401

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2009
thanks guys.. will be looking into the water holding capabilities of such tanks! good to know that they can be sanitized... thanks

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I have a tank full of fish that is a reptile tank my turtle use to be in. The silicone is fine but it had a sliding screen lid which sagged a little so i couldn't put lights on it and i lost a lot of water from evaportion. I ended up taking the top fram off and putting on one made for a fish tank to hold a glass lid. It was on off size so i had to cut the fram to fid and have the glass lid cut at a local glass shop. other then the switch over and large amounts of sratches the tank has worked great for 3 years.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Great info so far. Also, you want to check the thickness of the glass as well as bracing. Here is a GARF link http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp that will tell you how thick the glass should be for your specific tank.
Hit the nail on the head there... most tanks sold has reptile specific use thinner glass..they may not have a full top trim either if it is one with a sliding screen top.

Always test fill any used tank outside before filling it in the house..

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
to tell you the truth it would be so much easier to just buy a FISHtank.
Why the reptile tank for fish anyways?
It may very well be a fish tank that someone simply put reptiles into. At the end of the day (excluding terrariums and vivariums) they are all just glass tanks, its up to you what you use it for. Given that its capable of holding the pressure when full of water.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
i find many reptile tanks are much wider than fish tanks. some of them at least..
Wondering where your finding wider tanks.. after 20+ yrs in both the fish and herp hobby the only difference I have ever seen is the glass thickness and sliding screen tops..

It may very well be a fish tank that someone simply put reptiles into. At the end of the day (excluding terrariums and vivariums) they are all just glass tanks, its up to you what you use it for. Given that its capable of holding the pressure when full of water.
Agree with JRB.. my 90G native was used to house a couple box turtles before i got it and then i used it to house a rescued 6ft Boa until the boa was healthy enough to be rehomed. Also on the whole cleaning thing if it has been sitting empty for a while the only thing you really have to do is wash it with hot water, bleach can be used if you want but there really isnt any bacteria that is going to survive extended periods with out a host or the perfect conditions which a empty tank isnt going to provide.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the ones i see at my lfs are wider than the narrow fish tanks... the reptile tanks look comparable to breeder style tanks =/ sounding by brian's tone, this doesnt look to be the case every where lol.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
on craigslist CHEAP... probably am going to end up buying one new though
not sure if you mentioned the size of the tank or the price but it is usually alot cheaper to buy used/ clean it up and use it as long as the glass is the proper thickness. I would definately check it out before buying new.

The "reptile" tanks sold over the past 10 yrs or so are on the same footprint as 10G 20G long, 40G breeder and 55G.. there may be some out there that I havent seen but all are made on normal tank sizes. The difference is glass thickness, sealing, and the sliding top. Then they make it up 20 bucks more than a regular tank.