Used tank for reef

quietwhun

Small Fish
Jul 14, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
I have a 29gallon which was used for a fresh water setup. I kept a Red Eared slider in it for about a year, he is now in a bigger tank at a friends house. The tank currently has sand and black skirt tetras which will be moved to another tank. Is okay if I clean out the tank and use it for a saltwater setup or should I out right buy a new tank. Thanks for you info in advance.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Joe Fish said:
My advice is to take to slow. Rushing only causes problems down the road.
What joefish said is an understatement.

Do lots of research on what you are getting yourself into.
Did you plan on a fish only tank (FO) or a fish only with live rock(FOWLR) or a full blown reef? If you plan on the reef you better have some cash built up cause your gonna need it :D

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
yea not many people do FO but good luck dude i think he is going to do REEF as it's in the name of his topic..

BTW alittle off topic but where do you shop for stuff well going to shop for SW stuff i needa find some place cheaper :D

quietwhun

Small Fish
Jul 14, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Hey everyone, I will be doing a reef tank. I was looking to keep low-med light corals. I have been looking into this for the last 1yr and a half. I currently keep a planted 10gallon, which I will be giving to my sister. I have already decided to go with the ahsupply 2x55 bright kit. I have a few questions for those who have purchased from them. There store is a little confusing, at least for me it is..lol
Ok Im going with the 2x55 watt kit, as for the bulbs do I need 2 of Part 15519 - 55 Watt Combo Compact, or 1 of Part 11551 - 55w 10,000K Compact Fluorescent Bulb and 1 of Part 11559 - 55 Watt Deep Blue Actinic Compact Bulb.
And do I need to purchase the reflector or is it included.
I am getting all the parts together, I will start the setup in February, once I have everything I need.
Thanks again.