using garden rock

kbayer310

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2010
superior,wisconsin
i was wondering if it would be safe to use garden rock in my aquarium?I was thinking on adding several rock beds to go with my large pieces of driftwood.

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Thats a great idea, saves money and real rocks look better IMHO than fake ones. To prep a rock for tank life, brush off the dirt and dribble some lemon juice on it, to see if it fizzes. If it does, there is metal in it and you can't use it. IF not scrub it down with a scrub brush, or scored pad in a 1:1 bleach/water solution. Be really good if there are any holes in the rock or cracks. Then rise it off with water, really really well. Give it the sniff test. If you still smell bleach rise more.

There are better guides for how to prep an outside rock, but thats the jist of it.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I collected smooth rocks from a local stream when I first set up my tank. First I boiled the heck out of them, then srubbed, dried, and boiled again. At the time I set up my tank I didn't know about bleach being safe to use (if you dry the rock out completely afterwards), or about another trick I learned here, which is the vinegar test - similar to what Conman suggested with lemon juice.
I later found out that I probably saved myself at least $100 by collecting them myself vs. buying them from the fish store!

Twiggles

Medium Fish
May 4, 2010
If it fizzes It doesn't mean it has metal in it, I think it has to do something with acids and bases. But yeah boiling them is a good way to go. Rocks like shale should be avoided thought because they'll just mess up your water.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's not whether the rock has metal in it or not; it's whether it has anything in it that will affect the tank water. That's why the vinegar test will show if it is 'inert' - as, in, nothing that will combine with chemicals in the water to create another possibly dangerous compound.

At least, this is my way of explaining it to myself ;)

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
I loved finding out about the vinegar test. I went to my brother who collects rocks and he gave me quite a few of various sizes and colors. One in particular was too big for my tanks so I have to break it down. It's going to be gorgeous in there. He also gave me a piece with a small bit of amethyst in it, but I decided it was too small to put in the tank and actually see the colors. Most of his rocks were things he collected around Lake Superior or found on his property.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I use the vinegar. I carry a little bottle and take it to landscaping places. People always look at me really oddly as I am pouring stuff on rocks and listening for fizzing. Its pretty amusing.