Using old Filter Media to Cycle

ttmnky

Large Fish
Jan 16, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
If I took some old filter media with some of the bacteria from my already established fishtank and put that into my new tank and aquarium, will the tank cycle faster, or would it already have achieved a cycle?

If It does take a shorter time, about how long would I expect the tank to become cycled?

The thing is, I did this with an Aquaclear mini and its sponges yesterday. Today, the water is quite cloudy and smells heavily of nitrites/ nitrates. Any pointers here?

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
what is your bioload if any? Should work fine but you must expect a mini cycle. It will take a little while to achieve a full cycle of course. Just be very careful not to add too much bioload all at once

good luck

You need some sort of a bioload. Otherwise you are just moving water around and not cycling the tank. The bioload can be from guppys, or Danios (often used since they are sturdy fish) or just straight clean amonia.
If you are using old media from an established tank then your cycle should take just a few days - if you notice it at all. Just make sure that the media stays in the tank for a while to well seed everything else in there.

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
right on. But keep in mind that you need to feed the bacteria or it will die. ammonia in the form of a few fish or just out of the bottle. It will still take a few weeks, but not the traditonal 4-6. Good luck

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
yeah, you could get a few cheap guppies, but if you don't have a home for them later, just put in a tsp or 2 of straight ammonia a day, depending on the size of your tank...osmeone here will have better ratios than mine for fishless cycling..

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
if you use pure ammonia, which is the easiest and fastest way, you'll want to put in just enough to bring your ammonia levels up to .5 ppm. Depending on the strenghth of the ammonia it will take only a few drops or a capful so you need to test the water while you're putting the drops in.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Whatever you do, don't add a guppy and ammonia!

I personally prefer to fishless cycle every time. Used filter media, gravel, plants or decorations from an established tank will all make the cycle go faster. My record for a fishless cycle is 7 days. :)

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Lotus said:
Whatever you do, don't add a guppy and ammonia!

I personally prefer to fishless cycle every time. Used filter media, gravel, plants or decorations from an established tank will all make the cycle go faster. My record for a fishless cycle is 7 days. :)
LOL, I didn't think to clarify not to use ammonia AND fish! Thanks for that.