UV Sterilizer Anyone?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
aquatrades is a interesting website, Id just be careful when dealing with them.

"Ultraviolet Sterilization is a proven, dependable, and effective method for controlling and eradicating algae spores, bacteria, and protozoa (i.e.: ich) present in the water column. It is extremely beneficial in destroying disease-causing pathogens as water is pumped through the unit. Some sterilizers can be used in both saltwater and freshwater (aquariums or ponds).

For the treatment of disease in an aquarium, an 8-9 watt UV sterilizer will handle a tank up to 50 gallons, a 15W UV sterilizer will handle a tank up to 75 gallons, a 25W will handle up to 120 gallons and a 40W will handle up to 180 gallons. For tanks larger than 180 gallons, please contact us for sizing details. For pond applications, 8 watts per 1000 gallons is needed to kill off algae (green water).

Sterilization and purification of water by the use of ozone has been used for many years in drinking water and wastewater treatment plants throughout the world. Ozone is a very reactive form of oxygen that can destroy an enormous variety of liquid waste materials and toxins. In the aquarium, it offers a simple, highly effective method of maintaining a clean and stable environment for the plants and animals. As a rule of thumb, we recommend 1 mg/hr for every 2 gallons of aquarium water."
-Marine Depot Definition

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
UV isn't quite useless, but i.m.o. overrated in it's abilities. An appropriately sizwd device will do something, but they tend to do better on systems such as shop raceways where all the water goes thro\ frequently. Too little flow, and there's too little water treated and it's insgnificant w.r.t. untreated water. Too small a UV light and it doesn't kill anything, and be prepared to change bulb every 6 months.

Ozone is awful effective, get it wrong and you can kill everything in your tank plus harm your as well.. Do it without electronic monitoring, control, and you're gambling. Do it rightand iti s a fearsome steriliser and will aid your skimming by polarising the organics

FWIW I have neither.

Last edited:

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i dont really have an opinion. i dont think they're super necessary, but i'd take the precaution if i was running an expensive setup, or sensitive fish. we use them at the aquarium. it kills off nasties in your water.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you have a shop or similar large setup where at some point in time all the water is coming out/through a centralised filter system then a big, correctly sized UV is going to be effective. On small tanks, on a closed loop, the jury is out. You need to clean them internally quite a lot, and change the lamps every 6 months or they're useless, and they're useless if you too much flow thro them.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Thanks all for the info.

I think I'll pass on this one and as Kahlua suggests, use the $$$ on actual live rock. $45 seemed quite cheap but not if it'll leak.

I was led to believe that having one would benefit my non-live-rock-having tankmates, but it seems it's just another form of filtration. Filtration is something I DON'T need more of, and especially one which will remove algae. With no LR, I want algae for grazing! Surely.

Thanks again guys.