UV sterilizer

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
Has anyone ever used a uv sterilizer in line with a magnum 350?. I have a 75 gallon salt tank, but I am not useing a sump yet. I am also looking for any comments on sterilizers. Are they worth the money. I am trying to control algae, and of coarse the parisite benifit.

Thanks

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
a magnum 350 is way too much current for a 9W UV sterilizer. You would only need a 9W because I believe they are good up to 100 gallon tanks. Pushing 350 gph through that size sterilizer wouldn't be doing much good at all. I have a Custom Sea Life Double Helix that is 9W, and I am using a Aquaclear 301 powerhead to circulate the water. It is 174gph which is almost perfect for the sterilizer.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't think a UV will do anything at all for your algae problems. What's your nitrate readings, what sort of lights, what sort of algae? Water changes? How often fo you clean the emporer and magnum - daily, weekly...?

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
Nitrates are 0, maybe .25. Sometimes it's hard to read those test kits. For lights I have the coralife power compacts 50/50. 130 watts. The emporer I change the cartage once a month, the magnum as needed, about weekly.( I run it with the micron cartrage). I change 6 gallons a week and use R/O water and coralife salt. I do plan on buying kent salt next time. The algee is both green hair and brown. I need to clean the glass every other day, and I can stir up the sand to make it white, and 8 hours later, its turning brown again. The UV advertises algee control, not to mention every fish I've added in the last 2 months gets white spot and dies within a week. I pulled a blue tang and treated with copper, but he didn't make it. Any advise would be great.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Don't add anyfish for a month, and anything else goes thro QT for a month before going in the tank. That should get the whitespot out. I'd have a go at really cleaning those filters frequently, like every 2 days. How long has the tank been up? You need to look at the tank and figure out what's feeding the algae. Try a phosphate test too.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well some of your good bacteria is in your biowheel, but most is elsewhere ,preferably your substrate and live rock. Your tank is very young and some algae blooms are to be expected.
The brown algae is diatoms. That will likely sort itself out. The green hair algae will need more control - have you any snails, hemit crabs, lawnmower blenny? But you can/should expect 6 months of this.
You would be bettr off spending the UV money on more live rock in my opinion.

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Quick question, I too have a Mag 350 Pro and I was told to use the Carbon/Media Container for everyday use and to only use the Water Polishing Micron Cartridge for 4-6 hours at a time.

Is there a reason why you are always running the Micron filter all the time? I think its purpose is only to do a extra good job at polishing the water as needed and only for a short time.

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
I use the micron filter all the time because I like very clean water. I don't need the media as a bio filter because of the emperor and the live rock. I've also heard you shouldn't leave carbon in for more than a few days at a time, and only about once a month, although I don't know how true that is. Fact is, your water can't be overfiltered or too clean.