Vacation.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Hi all,
So in November I'm going on a 7-day cruise. And of course, the fish need to be taken care of. Now I know what you're thinking. Feeder blocks, an automatic feeder, or a fishsitter. Weeeeeeeeeeellll.....
1) The feeder blocks have but one flaw. I have 3 cory catfish, and of course they can't live on fish pellets for 7 days.
2) I don't trust automatic feeders, and I don't want to spend any money on one.
3) Nobody in my family is available. They are ALL going on the cruise. Plus, my uncle sat my fish about 2 months ago. @ peppered cories died, and ammonia was at toxic levels. Just great....

Please help me!!!

P.S.: I have to make sure ALL fish make it, since it's a domino effect. When one fish dies, it releases ammonia and all the other fish die with it.

Lionel

Small Fish
May 24, 2011
I've left a tank for a week with no problems. "feed 2-4 times a day" as it says in your sig is bad advice; feed once a day 6 days a week. In the 2 weeks leading up to the cruise slowly cut back the amount you feed and it will slow your fishes' metabolism and they will make it no problem.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I left my tanks for nine days last Thanksgiving. I have otos, but no other "bottom feeders" I did drop feeder blocks in and one algae pellet in both tanks. All was fine when I returned. There were no dead fish. The water parameters were fine. I had cleaned just before I left and the day after I got back. In one tank the algae wafer was gone but not the other. The 7-day feeder wafers were gone. If you are really feel the need to feed, see if some one would come in just once on day 4, put some food in a packet and hide the rest of the food. Just tell them that is all you want fed.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I don't know about feeding less would cut back the fish's metabolism, but what I've done is feed more leading up to the trip, do a large water change a day or two before you go and just do another decent water change when you get back.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Seven days without feeding is doable. I have had tanks go that long several times without any fish losses. If I know ahead of time, I feed normally each day before leaving and do a water change right before leaving. I normally only feed one time a day and skip a day with no feeding once or twice a week.
I have had good luck with automatic feeders, but would advise that they be set up a week or so in advance to correct any problems that crop up before you leave.
I have lost tanks of fish from friends trying to be helpful, but with out experience, by overfeeding which led to sour water. The friend knew that I was gone and thought he would do me a favor even tho I had not asked him to do anything. You may want to tell any one with access to your place to not feed the fish. Non aquarist do not understand how little food is necessary.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I agree totally with Orion. Feed them up before leaving. Sort of like other animals when they hibernate and eat a lot before they hibernate. I do not see anything wrong with feeding fish a little several times a day. In the wild they eat all the time assuming food is available. Our problem is most of the food sinks to the bottom so unless they are bottom feeders, we have rotting food. Fish grow a whole lot fast when fed frequently, but you would have to really keep on top of tank conditions. I read an article about feeding live food free style and it was working well. They ate what and when they wanted just like in the wild. I noticed people here talk about how big and fast their bottom feeders grow and this may be why.