various cleaner shrimps compatible?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i was wondering if the various cleaner shrimps (blood red fire shrimp, peppermint, etc) could be successfully kept together in a small tank (29 gallons)...i know the coral banded shrimp (S. hipidus) shouldnt be kept with any of them......

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
All the shrimp you used as examples would be fine together. As you already pointed out, the coral banded shrimp would be a no no. I would probably add camel shrimp to the no no list too. They'll get along fine with your other shrimp but will graze on your corals.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i agree with nutfarm on this one...any of the Lysmata shrimp ought to be fine together...but, if you go for peppermint shrimp (which I think is a fine choice!) make sure you don't accidentally get camel shrimp. it is fairly easy to tell them apart if you know what they both look like, but a lot of LFS will label camels as peppermint. the most telling feature is of course the hump, the camel also will have eyes which project from the body; the striping pattern is somewhat different as well

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
The lysmata shrimp can be kept in groups. I have 2 Blood shrimp and 3 regular cleaners in a 20 gallon. Coral banded nope...at my store we acclimate the shrimp together in a container. We placed 3 coral bandeds together...one was left alive in like ten minutes!

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
thats too bad the coral banded shrimp cant get along with others because i think they're one of the coolest looking shrimp around, and a great price too...
so in other words if i had peppermint, red, and regular cleaner shrimp all in the same tank they wouldnt kill each other-thats very good news

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Cleaner shrimp are cool. They will become tame enough for you to feed them directly. If you dont want to though, all you have to do is put some mysis in there and they will be fine.