Veggies

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
for peas you must de-shell them and feed them raw I believe.

I don't know how to blanch things, so I didn't blanch my zucchini and my fish loved it. I think they needed it to soak for a day first for it to get soft for them, but once it did the devoured it.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
How bout we ask the cook!?

If you are blanching cut veggies. Drop them into boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Then remove them and set them in ice water. Which, as stated, stops the cooking process.

Your really just "flash" cooking the product, when you blanch. It will soften up, and just start to turn translucent.

khisanthax

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2008
erm,i thought blanching was just boiling it .. and the guide I read said to boil till it's soft enough to cut without resistance ... so I've boiled them for about 30min or so ... but I never dropped it in cold water ... is that necessary too?

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
How do you de-shell a pea? Personally I hate the little green buggers...serves me right that they are the only veggie my kid will eat huh. Can I use thawed frozen peas?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I believe to deshell a pea you just soak it in warm water until the shell loosens? Not sure though.

I just wanted to note that peas are used as a laxative and should only be fed sparingly.

khisanthax

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2008
lol, I swear, it's all there and not that mushy too! Sometimes I forget and may leave it there longer ... but it's still solid and cucumber-like, so I just drop it in ... they love it, shrug!