Vertical Betta

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi all. My betta is resting in a vertical position since 3 pm. He has never done this before. My other bettas don't do it all. Does anyone know if anything is wrong with him? Is this normal behavior for a betta? I have had Valentino for over a year, and he has never rested in a vertical position ever. Appreciate anyone's response. :)

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
is he head down in the rocks?

If so then sound like a very sick fish, you can try meds in a hospital tank for 7 days and see if he pulls out of it. make sure to clean his tank well and cycle it then you canadd him back in to his tank when he is better.

Can you post a picture?

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Thanks for your response ninamarie. I changed his tank this morning as I noticed white "cotton" pieces in his tank. He was at the very top of the tank resting vertically. This morning I noticed he has been really swimming as if to avoid the white "cotton" pieces, so I gave him a new tank. I just changed his water yesterday, so I don't know why the white "cotton" pieces are in the tank? Does he have some kind of disease? Appreciate all your help.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Thanks for your help ninamarie. I'll run to Petsmart to get some fungus fix this afternoon. Appreciate it. By the way, since you know so much about fish, we have another male betta in a one gal bowl. He can't swim anymore as his back bottom fin looks "paralyzed." All he does is sit on his leaf in the bowl so he doesn't have to swim to the top for air, he just lifts his head. Is there any medication to fix his fins? He can still swim but is a real struggle for him. Thanks. :)