Very Cloudy Help!

Mr.Fish

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2005
My fish tank was clear and it cycled. I then cleaned the tank once and it started to get cloudy from vaccuming and everything. It wasen't that bad and then I just vaccumed it recently, did a 25% water change and it has gotten even worse. I don't know what to do! I've had the tank for about 4 months.

Mr.Fish

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2005
I've added water but other then that, no. I was trying to let my tank cycle first.

Someone told me to try this stuff called Accurel F?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If the tank is still cycling...then what are your water parameters? Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Usually when someone is doing a fish-in cycle you need to be doing water changes as often as possible to keep your fish from dying. If its been up for 4 months then the chances are pretty good that its finished cycling (ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm, high nitrate) and that you need to do some big water changes and then get used to doing at least 25 or 30% changes every week (while vaccuuming the gravel to get the gunk out)

A dirty tank can be cloudy....or it could be a bacterial bloom or an algae bloom. What color is the cloudyness?

I would start with the water testing and water changes first to see if that works...and then let us know. I would NOT add any chemicals to the water to make it 'magically' disappear until you've figured out the source of the cloudyness...otherwise its just a temporary fix and the clouds will just come back.

Mr.Fish

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2005
Yea it was clear my tank. The ammonia level was at 0. Then all of a sudden the tank started to get cloudy after the first time I cleaned it. It has gotten even worse. It's white cloudy.

I just put in this Accurel F stuff. My friend said it works really well. I asked him if it's safe and he said yea, he had the same fish from the beginning for 3 years now.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
white cloudy is just a bacteria bloom, it will go away. a lot of things are perfectly safe for your fish, but honestly, why bother wasting time and money on magical fixes for things that are just going to go away naturally or will just come back because you didn't fix what was causing the problem in the first place???

Your ammonia was at 0...what about nitrites and nitrates? Did you TRY more water changes?