Very cloudy smelly tank

Yazoo1970

Medium Fish
Apr 29, 2005
I have a 55 gallon tank my filters are a fluval 404 i have a seaclone 150 protein skimmer and 2 power jets do not know the name of them i have had them awhile. My goal is to build a large live rock base rock scene where i can have many small creatures and small fish very colorfull. I think i have found 1 large mistake ordering live rock online to get a deal i spent 200 dollars for 100 pounds of live rock and i believe that is what destroyed what i had started in my tank. The live rock looked very shelly and like coral and had an odor when it arrived. after it had been in the tank a couple of days a terrible odor started coming from the tank so i took it out and it smelled terrible i threw it away. so now i have the 25 pounds of lr from the store and about 10 pounds of base rock in my tank nothinng else i did about a 70% water change and the smell has died down but the water is still cloudy. should i just let lr thats in there now sit or should i continue with the water changes thanks for your help.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
that live rock was probably uncured (or at least experiencing die off from shipping). this is the way it comes when you mail order. you should have been prepared either to cure it in a seperate container or been aware that it would need to be cured in your tank. unfortunately, you just wasted $200 because that stuff in the trash was what you were supposed to get. if it isn't gone gone you might try to dig it out and see if it is still wet...if it is it is probably savable. get a big rubbermaide or another container and begin the curing process

Yazoo1970

Medium Fish
Apr 29, 2005
yes it is gone it was in bad shape when it arrived and was completly dry no moisture at all the guy that shipped it to me said he was going to ship overnight and it arrived 4 days later. I got it through Ebay and paypal so i put in disputes because of the time delay so i will get some of my money back anyway probably not the shipping though I think i am going to stick with the lr i can see from now on even though its a little more expensive

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
its always nice to be able to cherry pick rock but if you have a large tank it gets pricy, In general ordering online isnt a problem but you do have to cure it(that nasty urine smell) but that is all part of the natural cycle in the tank, plus you can't beat the price of online rock and if you get it from one of the many reputable online retailers you can get some really nice stuff, I ordered fiji and tonga rock online( about 100 lbs of each) and I am very pleased with it

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you're going to buy live rock mail order the stinking experience is not unusual and to be expected. You might try getting the stuff back and curing it anyway if you can. I would choose not to cure in my lounge because of this