Very Lazy Cory. Need Help!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I am finally rid of my ick (YEAHOOO!!!). I lost one of my cories and yesterday I purchased another one; but the Cory that I had during the treatment is very very lazy. He was not this way before I lost the first one. What is going on with him. He swims around for about 10 minutes in one day and the rest of the time he just sits in the back corner of my tank. This just doesnt seem like normal Cory behavior to me. Please Help!!

May 12, 2005
I have a cory that does that same thing, best thing to do is give him a friend. I find that they do much together. It could just be affected by the Ich treatment to. That tend to effect them in weird ways...maybe give him a couple of days and see how it goes. If he doesn't get better maybe see if you can trade him at the LFS or a different one

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
scaleless fish such as catfish are sensitive to medications. Did you do a water change after the last dose? I would do a 25%, (usually the recommended amount after treatment) and put some fresh carbon in the filter. See if he perks up after that...

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Yes. I did 1 treatment a day and did a 25% water change every 48 hours. Both of the original Cories were fine, then all of a sudden I woke up and one was dead and now the one that is still alive is very lazy and doesnt eat either. At least very much. I feed them sinking wafers and he nibbles at it for a few seconds and then its like he cant swim anymore. It almost seems like he doesnt have energy. I dont know. I dont want to loose him, but I am begining to think that is what is going to happen. Before and during the begining of treatment they would keep at the wafers till they were gone. O, there is also an Otto in the tank and he is fine. No signs of anything, he is pretty active.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Yes. I did 1 treatment a day and did a 25% water change every 48 hours. Both of the original Cories were fine, then all of a sudden I woke up and one was dead and now the one that is still alive is very lazy and doesnt eat either. At least very much. I feed them sinking wafers and he nibbles at it for a few seconds and then its like he cant swim anymore. It almost seems like he doesnt have energy. I dont know. I dont want to loose him, but I am begining to think that is what is going to happen. Before and during the begining of treatment they would keep at the wafers till they were gone. O, there is also an Otto in the tank and he is fine. No signs of anything, he is pretty active.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
It's possible that the cory has some kind of secondary health issue, he could have bacterial infection that is not apparent on the outside. That is that bad thing about ich, it's fairly easy to identify and treat, but there are a lot of secondary problems that occur because of it.

Also, as it has been said before Cories need friends. They a semi-schooling type fish, depending on who you ask.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I would still recommend the carbon in the filter to get rid of any remaining medications. usually the directions for meds have a half dosage recommendation for tetras and scaleless fish. It could be that he was poisoned from meds. Can you move him to a different tank?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I cant put the carbon in the filter yet cause I still want to so one more treatment to make sure that all of the ick is gone. It was only a few days ago that the ick finally came off the fish. I do have a 1 gallon tank that has a air stone tube but no filter. (not sure if they ever do). Would it be worth it to move him to. I also have my 3 gallon but that is occupied by other aquatic creatures. The meds dont say anything about scaleless fish but it does say a certain amount for tetras. ??? But like I said there is an Otto that has been in the tank too and he is fine. It could also be old age too. I just hope that he makes it