very pale female jewel

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
Hi Ya'll, so I have my pair of jewels in their 15g (before you jump, they are still very small f1.5" and I have a 30g waiting). The have already spawn once, but they ate all the fry. That was awhile ago. Now the female (who used to be bright red) is really, really pale. It almost looks like she has lipstick on !. Now I know that cichlids change colours with their moods, so, what does this mean? The male looks normal and they are both acting normal. He is blowing a lot of food out though. I didn't noticed that before. Temp is right, I could get readings but I doubt they are the problem. Any suggestions, my estimate fellow fishiers?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Feed them raw de-shelled shrimp or prepared cocktail shrimp. This type of food will enhance the red/orange colors in your fish. Do not feed them to much to often as Africans can constipated from to much meat. I feed mine peas as well to be sure this does not happen. Once or twice a week they get raw de-shelled shrimp and the next meal I give them shucked raw peas to be sure they do get constipated. I get the medium size shrimp and cut them into little chunks. I keep them frozen until I need one, at that point I pull out what I need and soak it in water to thaw it fast. My Oscars and Jacks love them too.