vitamin C for chlorine removal?

miles

New Fish
Nov 25, 2011
I'm a bit of a newbie at this, but I've been doing research about aquarium chemicals and aquariums in general, and the most popular advise about aquarium chemicals (like pH stabilizers; ammonia, nitrite and nitrate removers; bacteria additives) seems to be "don't use them". So this brings me back to one of, if not the only, absolutely necessary aquarium chemical - dechlorinator. The sources I've read seem to agree that the simplest possible dechlorinators (ones with the least side-effects such as pH stabilizer or ammonia remover) are the safest and work out the best in the long run. What I've found, and believe to be the "simplest", is a vitamin C based formula that claims to be "all natural", faster at neutralizing chlorine and chloramine than chemicals, boost fish immune system, help nitrifying bacteria attach, and replace fish slime coat. Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews or information what-so-ever about the stuff or anything similar other than the manufacturer propaganda. My though is this: if it's so wonderful and completely natural, why doesn't everyone use it? Does anyone know if this stuff works? Is it safe over long periods of time? Is it dangerous to overdose or easy to do so? and of course I'd like to know if anyone has any other proven dechlorinator recommendations. Thanks in advance for replies!

miles

New Fish
Nov 25, 2011
Alright, let me streamline this horrible text block a little bit. (I'm a little new to forums as well as fish keeping)

Is there any notable difference between "all natural" vitamin C based dechlorinator and any old water conditioner, or one that might have added effects such as "adding electrolytes", "balancing alkalinity", and "stabilizes pH"?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I haven't heard of a vitamin C-based dechlorinator. I use a simple one (AP Tap Water Conditioner) that removes the chlorine and nothing else. I believe it's sodium thiosulphate. Do you know the name/brand of the one you've been looking at?

Also, do you know if your water has chloramines in it? You can sometimes get the answer from your water authority's website.

miles

New Fish
Nov 25, 2011
It's called SuperBac All Natural Dechlorinator. I don't believe my water has chloramine, but the dechlorinator claims to neutralize it as well. I'm trying to fishless cycle my tank right now, so while I wait I thought it would be a good idea to try and find some information about this stuff before I use it on actual fish. Not to mention, it's the most expensive water conditioner I've found so far.

Last edited: