Waiting Period

Flare

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
St Louis
I received 3 female bettas today but am not ready to put them in the aquarium. Would they be ok in an unfiltered tank for a couple of days if I keep tabs and change the water? Would an air stone help them? I do have a small pump I could use?

Thanks,
cj

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Yes, they will be fine provided that the tank is big enough. They'd be fine in a gallon each for that matter, if only for a few days. Just make sure the temperature is constant and warm. An airstone isn't necessary for breathing (obviously) but will help prevent the water from scumming over.

Be aware that they may not get along, however. Even some females can be a bit witchy.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
bettas belong to a group of fish called labyrinth fish and they have a special organ that allows them to take air from the surface so they should be fine. However, like leopardess said, they very well may kill each other. Bettas are usually kept one to a tank aren't they? Alot of times, fish stores sell only males because they are very pretty - but there is a reason why they are also called siamese fighting fish.