waiting....

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
i have had saltwater in my tank for approx. 2 weeks now and am not seeing a decrease in alk no2 no3 and amm how do i get these down to zero so i can add ls and lr?

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Flowerkid, please read this link.

I know very little about salt water, but based on your question, I would guess that you haven't done much, if any, research into keeping a salt water aquarium. Before the salties jump all over you for asking this question, please read all the stickies in the salt water forum. They should help you get started. Then if you have questions, post them.

To answer your question though (the link I have above should answer it in more detail), water parameters will not go down on their own. In salt water aquariums, live rock is the main biological filter. You need to put live rock in your tank to start the cycle, which will help to reduce the amount of ammonia and such in your tank.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
as Mainer said you add the lr to start the cycle and then the params will go down. However before you add anything to the tank I suggest you read through the stickies and the saltwater forums to gather the neccessary information.

Patience is not an object you cant possess in the world of saltwater if you want a successful tank. If you do your research now you will be rewarded down the road.

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
thanks for the link but i have read it plenty of times. I have discovered that many people think i should wait until those parameters are down to zero. The question i was asking was if there was a way to lower them.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
If all you did was put water into the tank and there is nothing else in there, I'm not sure why you are reading levels of ammonia or nitrite. It's possible there is a little nitrate in your water though.

You can always do water changes to lower the levels of your parameters if you really wanted too. However, that isn't necessary.

You might as well put the live rock in, and then worry about lowering the parameters in a few weeks when water changes become necessary. Totally up to you though.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What's in the tank - jsut water and salt? You haven't added anything else like a dead shrimp to get the cycle going.
What test kit are you using?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
idk much about that lab but is it freshwater compatible (or just marine?) If you can use it on fresh test your tap straight out of the faucet. If the test is marine only I think it could be beneficial to bring some of the tap to your lfs and ask them to do a test on it.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lets think for a second. As a note your alk should not ever go anywhere near zero. It needs to stay in the range 8 - 10, though often in newly mixed up saltwater it can be higher. Don't worry, it will drop with time (weeks, months) worry about it being low, not high.

I am not worried about nitrate unless it is very high, 50 or more. I am not especially worried about nitrite either as it's not actually toxic in salt water till it hits crazy levels (200 +, before that it's bound by a chlorine ion), but I don't like it that there's ammonia in the water. How much is it testing as , trace, or lots. Ammonia test kits are not especially accurate (and not nearly as accurate enough to say today .5 ,yesterday it was 1), so use it as a yes/no or no/little/lots test kit. I would bear in mind that when you mix fresh saltwater up it will often test positive for ammonia (a good reason not to use freshly mixed water).
If I was you, and had a tank, with saltwater standing there, with mixed up water and a mysterious ammonia reading I would take out 10 ml of that water and get a shop to retest it. I would also, assuming there are few bacteria in the tank, buy myself a piece of live rock in the one or two pounds range , and stick it in, using at as a source of many bacteria. If there really is ammonia , they will start to process it, if there isn't, no big deal. Then in a few days,, 3 or 4, get a couple of hermit crabs and see what happens.